position

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Theprof, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello,

Over the last few years I progressed in my work and as of last year I started doing more complicated tasks.

Here's my history.... Right out of school I got a job as a desktop support tech... I've been doing strictly desktop for about 1 year. After 1 year everything changed. Our support team was made up of 2 network admins and 1 desktop support tech. After the first year one of the network admins left the company and it became 1 network admin and me as desktop support tech. Ever the next 2 years up until including the present time my role started to change. I started doing some minor network stuff, troubleshooting minor network issues.... nothing too complicated... To give you an example, AV server, other server applications that our company uses... server setups, etc... like I said nothing complicated. Then things started to get more and more complex... we went through 2 network guys that we couldn't keep because lack of their knowledge, our environment is pretty complex, VMWare infrastructure, san's, vlan's, exchange, AD, routing, switching, etc... Every time that something would happen the network guys that we hired couldn't do much, in fact I was the one to do most of the troubleshooting... although at times I did need help, but I learned a lot and took the initiative to work hard and try and solve the problem. All of this has not gone unnoticed... I think what made me look really good is when I fixed a file server issues we had a while back all by my self when the network guy wasn't around.

Ever since then I was given bigger network projects to do. So far I've accomplished the following:

- Migrate WSUS 2 to WSUS 3 on a new server while preserving all the approvals, updates, db, etc...
    - Successfully migrate rightfax 8.7 with a proprietary DB to version 9.3 and into the SQL db...
    - Installed and configured HP SIM with the remote ISEE configuration.
    - Fixed our web-filter database that was an on going issue.

Current projects:

- Off-site backups/disaster recovery

With all of that experience that I've gained over the last little while counts for a lot, this I know... despite everything I still don't have the x amount of years as a network admin which is what works against me at this point. I am a patient guy, I am only 22 and I will do what ever it takes to get to my goal. However I also realized that my role is not desktop support anymore, it's something else, maybe some sort of a network assistant or a systems admin, etc...

I would like your input on this... I could care less about titles... it's not what I am asking, I am just curious to know what type of position am I doing? reason I am asking is because on job posts I see things like a network admin or network assistant or systems admin are needed, how do you classify each category with the type of work done?

Thanks....

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So? You have x amount of years doing network and server administration, regardless of what your title is. :) That experience is far more valuable than the title.

Simple: you don't have to. Besides, the lines blur around server administration and network administration, because in many companies - including yours - higher-end techs end up doing both.

It is enough to say that you administer servers and do basic network troubleshooting. Let the titles work their way out on their own.

I know you "could care less about titles"... but if you want a title that better suits your current job description, why don't you just ask your supervisor? Personally, I would guesstimate that you could land a job as a server/systems administrator based on what you've been doing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It's basic network admin stuff... the more complicated tasks and projects started happening exactly 1 year ago... Like I said before... I am patient and will continue to progress but I was just curious under what category I fall, it's just for future reference...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ask for a change of title, most places it should not be a big deal.

Some places get stingy with titles, they like to use them instead of pay rises etc. Or they are rigidly tied to pay brackets so they feel they will have to give you a raise if your title changes.

In which case ask for the title and say you can wait for the raise.

Other places have ridiculous made up titles.

In which case I'd have no problem writing your CV to reflect your duties, if your job is Systems Administration and your title is Systems Configurator or whatever, do everyone a favour and just put Systems Administrator on your CV, it will result in less confusion all round ! :D

5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I'd look for a title change as well. It's not the name so much, but the responsibilities that come with it - at least in some companies.

However, I'd probably ask the manager to define your role within the team and make sure he/she is on the same page as you. Or come out and say you'd like the Network Admin role, and the next hire should be a desktop support tech.

6. BosonMichael

Like I said, I would guesstimate that you could land a job as a server/systems administrator based on what you've been doing. So that's the category under which I think you fall. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It's what I thought as well... I don't mind having the desktop support title and it's like you said the experience is way more valuable... I was also concerned if my title would hinder other possibilities as a systems or network admin even if I do have the necessary experience. Although it doesn't look that way but still I am new to this field and would like to get a better vision for the future.

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

This is a true fact and I did see this happen multiple times... I also realized that each company has their own titles, there can be multiple titles describing the same type of position...

This is what I am thinking as well... I have a review coming up in 2 months, I will bring it up then... but my boss knows where I stand so I am sure he expects some sort of a negotiation.

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Based on what you've described, I agree with BM. Unless you're actively configuring switches and routes, then I would say Network Administrator.

And even though you may not mind what title you currently have, for the future when sending out your CV you have approx 30 sec to help convince a prospective employer that you're suitable for the job. A "higher" job title can assist with that.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. BosonMichael

Although your experience matters more than your title, having a title that doesn't match your actual job experience COULD cause your CV to look less attractive to future employers. That's why I'd recommend asking your supervisor for a title change.

I wouldn't recommend making your title more attractive on your own... whatever you say on your CV should match up with what your employer would say if they were asked. Although many prospective employers don't check, some will ask previous employers what your title was, and if they don't match up, it end up taking the knees out from under your CV. Yet another reason to ask for a title change. ;)

11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

From a marketing standpoint, it also shows that you progressed / advanced in the company. That the company valued your role and gave you more responsibilities. Although it sounds like this is already true, the CV / resume won’t reflect it as cleanly if it’s all under the role of ‘desktop support tech’

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's what I was concerned about.... it's things like this that you don't normally think about that could sometimes stand in your way... glad I got that out of the way.

13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I guess the best option would be to discuss the title when my review comes along...

14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'd start putting the bug in the bosses ear now so that he has the next two months to work it out. It generally helps this way as they eventually think it's their idea.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Also the tough part is that at my company always had 2 network admins and 1 desktop guy... for as long as I can remember lol.... what would I suggest as an alternative title? systems admin??