ports forwarded, firewall off still no vnc connection allowed

Discussion in 'Networks' started by glytch, Oct 11, 2005.

1. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

Hi,
    I'm having trouble accessing my machine with tightvnc or windows RDC , I can connect via http to the tightvnc server with 127.0.0.1:49162 or using localhost:49162 but when I try with my external IP it keeps saying connection refused when attempting to contact 87.80.blah.blah:49162.

I have forwarded the appropriate ports on my actiontec router to my internal IP 192.168.0.2 and I have checked to see if the ports are visible with shieldsup port scan online and they are.

bittorrents download fine and can upload but when I try to seed a file, no-one can connect to my seed.

I installed a bittorrent tracker (bnbt) and forwarded the correct port in my router, again I can connect with localhost or my internal IP but not from the 87.80,, address.

I even put my machine as a DMZ but still no joy. I have uPnP enabled and dynamic routing. My ISP provides a dynamic IP but it has been showing the same one every time I connect since I got it.

I am running winxp SP2 and I can't figure it out!! arrrgh, I have got norton antivirus running and no windows firewall.

I can't think of what else to do to enable connections to my pc from the 'outside'...

please help

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I've never used vncviewer remotely, but have read some posts from others that have had the same problem you are. I don't know if they came to a solution or not, but from what I remember that problem is in NAT.

I have the same bittorrent problems you have and from my research into the problem it's all related to NAT. Unfortunately I have never been able to get around it. I've tried everything I could find on the subject but never came up with a solution that worked. I just kept on getting the same errors. I'm not sure if it's just the cheap home routers that have this problem or not.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

I was gonna disable NAT but I don't know what it does and there's a warning on the router page about disabling it. grrr.
    I think I might try and borrow a dsl modem without a router on it and see if that can work.

it's really frustrating!!

4. ffreeloader

NAT is Network Address Translation. It's how you can have a private IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.20, and connect successfully with computers that have a public IP address such as internet routers, web servers, computers on neworks other than yours, etc... over the internet. If you disabled NAT you would lose the security it provides and most likely lose your internet connectivity too if you have several computers on your home lan.

5. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

nice! you should join forces with Mike Meyers :p
    I tried disabling it but lost connectivity like you said

I'll be getting to that when I finish my A+ and move on to Network+,

I'll pick up an adsl modem tomorrow and try it with that, the stuff I've seen when searching the net about this is that routers can be fickle with things like routing. Strange though coz everything else works with torrents, I can continue to seed after I have downloaded a file but no seeding with a file I create. grr :x

I'll let you know if it works with the adsl modem

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

are you trying to connect to the external IP from inside your network?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

try something more simple and more common first, like ftp on port 21. then take it from there.
    also take a look at http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm. they have instructions for setting up portforwarding, listed by router model and application.
    most likely you will need to define a range of ports, not a single port.

8. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

If you are trying to access the VNC server from inside your network using an external IP address or host name you have to add an entry in your hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc).

You need to add a line that looks like this;
    192.168.0.3 vnc.hostname.com

192.168.0.3 - This being the internal IP address of your VNC server.

vnc.hostname.com - This being the domain name of your VNC server.

Replace the domain name with the external IP address if needed.

I had to do this to access my FTP server from within my network using an external address.

Neall

WIP: A+
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree with freeloader. When it comes to bittorent it only seems to play ball with NAT disabled, ie a direct connection.
    Of course you loose security and if you need more than one address you've had it!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Bit torrent works fine with the appropriate port forwarding

Neall " I had to do this to access my FTP server from within my network using an external address."

you are not accessing your ftp with an external address, as that would not be possible
    your are accessing it via an internal address, with the same url, a practice called split dns, providing resources with common names both internal and external to a network

and multiple ports should not be required for a VNC connection, only a single port is required
    I would recommend RDP if possible as it can be more secure when configured correctly

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

While on the subject of RDP can you connect to a home computer using a Pro machine?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. ffreeloader

If this is in regards to bitttorrent, I've tried a huge range of ports, matched them on the bittorrent client, and it still never worked. I port forwarded a range of something like a thousand ports around the the ones that the bitttorent client was wanting and it didn't work. The bittorrent client still reported errors and would never seed.

I spent a day or so playing with Azureus trying different things and finally just gave up on it. Downloading worked fine, it was just trying to open up files from my computer that would crap out.

From my research a the time there were a whole lot of other people having the same problems.

13. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

14. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Ah well, just sounded familiar. Thanks for clarifying.

Neall

WIP: A+
  15. ffreeloader

Well, I'd say it should work fine with port forwarding. I think there are some bugs in at least some of the cheap home cable/dsl routers and the port forwarding doesn't work correctly. I know my router just won't work correctly. I have an SMC 7008ABR and I can't set up a dmz on mine that will work as it should either.

I've spent days playing with this thing and there is some stuff it just won't do. It's really slow internally too. I can't do internal file transfers at anything over about 2 mB/s on what it shows as fully duplexed 100 mb/s connections. My old Linksys, another piece of junk that died after a couple of years, would at least do file transfers in the range of 45-50 mb/s. This SMC won't come near that.

Don't tell me to upgrade my firmware either. I've already done all that and it made no changes whatsoever. :x

16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Freddy, ill have a look at my ISA logs as they are pretty detailed, I do get alot of denied ip traffic thats bit torrent related, but so far i can still seed stuff fine
    ill see if the logs reveal anything and let you know :)

and freddy
    upgrade your firmware

17. ffreeloader

:biggrin :twisted: :p :daz

18. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

Yup, I was able to do this long ago before sp2 got installed. I also used a dynamic dns service from no-ip.info and I used to be able to put that and connect via RDC and VNC, also I could view a tracker I had running on port 6969. not now :cry:
    Tried that too, ftp wont have it either.
    I can do that but that just bypasses the outside and sends it back to 127.0.0.1 which I know connects. I need to allow connections from the outside world, a friends computer can't access the server or tracker either.
    I tried with NAT disabled but I lose all connection to the internet. :x
    yup been there, its a bit out of date coz my firmware has been upgraded, before I had to specify the IP of the pc to forward to but now I choose from a pull down box and select my computer name.
    Exactly the same as me :dry , I'll pick up a dsl modem later and try again with that. fingers crossed!

thanks for the suggestions everyone, I knew this was the place to ask!

19. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

well, it took hours of no sleep fiddling and it still didnt work so I tried a dsl modem and , joy of joy, all works properly.
    damn cheap routers!

network+ , pah, who needs it? :p

20. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

Answer is no, as far as i can remember.

Are you sure that the Windows firewall is not playng any issue in the router not being able to send it through.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security