Port Number Issue

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by cobirad, Apr 21, 2010.

1. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

hello.
    please can anyone help me with usefulls details about the listed port numbers

UDP 42117
    UDP 35056
    UDP 51388
    UDP 58699
    UDP 50864
    UDP 55025
    UDP 55625

I'D like to know the possible attack and the applications or devices that make use of them.
    although i have checked http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers but i did not get anything.

one more thing. could it be possible that they are used privately either by hackers or attackers to lunch an attack.

TNX !!!

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Those are ephemeral high port numbers. They're not generally used for specific applications. You are most likely torrenting - that's what 99% of traffic on high UDP ports is

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The ports from 49152 to 65535 aren't registered ports. Any application can dynamically use them.

If IANA doesn't have info on UDP 35056 and 42117 (which they don't), and you can't find any info on them by Googling them, you probably won't have much luck finding out anything from a forum with a large handful of people.

Are you receiving or transmitting traffic on those ports?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You have already asked this question and someone gave you a list of used port numbers, high port numbers can be used by any software whether that's a bittorrent client or bespoke website

1 - 1023 are well known ports.

1024 - 49151 are registered ports.

49152–65535 are dynamic or private ports.

Whilst each port in the known or registered ports list can\does have something assigned to it, there is nothing stopping you using that port number yourself (as long as you don't interfer with an application that's already using said port).

As far as 35056 and 42117 are concerned nothing is registered to them, the other ports are in the private range so subsequently have nothing assigned to them.

Next time can I suggest that rather than re-posting this in a new thread you update your existing one?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA