Poor video quality

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex Wright, May 13, 2008.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

I recently reinstalled a copy Micro$oft Windows XP Pro on my workstation at home and ever since when I've tried to play any video clips (particulary on full screen) using any of the big name applications (BBC iPlayer, Windows Media Player, Real Player) the picture quality has been horrendous. Basically, the picture's just very jumpy - almost as if someone was continually clicking between pause and play. The audio's fine, but the video problem is a global one and I had no such problems before I reinstalled the operating system.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this to happen and could you give me any pointers on how I can fix it?

Thanks,

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

are these video clips being streamed from another source? if so it just could be that you have a bad connection (bandwidth issues). Check your internet connection speed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Have you installed all the updates for microsoft's website and also does your video card have the right driver. It might also be that you need to download add-on's (Divx codec etc...) I got video being display in pink and inverted colours when I reinstalled windows XP. But when I installed the video driver and also the divx codec add-on (googled) it starting working.

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  4. Alex Wright

Nope, these are videos that I downloaded a while back. I'm not trying to stream anything.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

as chopperchand asked have you got the relevant drivers and codec? especially if any are divx

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said have you updated the graphics card driver? You may be using a generic MS driver which will get your card working but you may have to download the latest driver from the manufactures website. Also have you updated the driver for the chipset on the mobo?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for proper drivers and codecs.

EDIT: Post 9K. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Alex Wright

That's done the trick. Thanks my learned friends! I haven't been snooping around the forums for a while, how you all doing? :)

9. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

Yeah thanks guys, I sent my mate an email with this forums url. He is now not having thee issues! Awesome!