poor memory

Discussion in 'A+' started by redbrick, Feb 8, 2007.

1. redbrick

redbrick New Member

hi all,im taking my a+ in 2 weeks time,and im starting to panic a bit already, due to my poor memory,any tips would be most welcome.thank you

2. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Hello,

In a word... Repetition.

If you feel that you can't remember things, then go over them until you can. It works in most cases bud.

When i did my A+ i used to do the Transcender exams every night until i got a full understanding and could get every question correct. Then i did the exam, it turned out that the Transcenders sort of lulled me into a false sense of security as they don't cover all aspects of the exam and i was left a little deflated as i scored 695 but wanted higher.

I learned and moved on, now i won't just rely on Transcenders but i get every available resource to bump my knowledge up, now i can feel my study method improving every exam.

Don't get me wrong here, i believe that with my books and the Transcender practice exams i had enough at my disposal to pass the exam (which is what really matters) - but i was left feeling a little 'empty' in places.

Good Luck with the exam, make sure you know your IRQ's, DMA's, POST routine etc..

There's bits on ESD, IDE cables (40 pin etc), SCSI, Modems and motherboard architecture from what i can remember about the hardware exam. Seems so long ago now, i wonder if i'd pass it now - lol.

Hope this helps but there's loads of help in the A+ section here..

:D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

There's some good advice there from Quarky.

Besides repetition, do practise questions in Mike meyers book or the A+ book you are learning from.

Write concise revision notes. Then put these into key terms on post cards or index cards.

Also sign up for Cram session revision notes, they even have a quiz for A+.

They offer free study guides.8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What are your current study materials and methods?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

practice test, practice test and then take another practice test.

i used crammaster and it was great preparation, i passed a few days ago.

good luck :)

6. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

*oops* double post!

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

You should use the practice tests sparingly IMO, otherwise you just end up memorising the answers, and it doesnt give you a true reading of your progress.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

I agree with Raffaz on that one, but personally i think it's dependent on when you actually start the practice exams.

I don't even load the software until i've finished the books. Then i aim to memorise the questions.

There's no point learning the answers though unless you fully understand them, if you do that - then you may as well take a dump on your brain with the braindumps.

Take your time and study the questions fully, 'understand' the answers, don't just 'know' them.

Remember, knowledge is born from understanding.

Do this and i'm sure you'll be fine.

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  9. redbrick

redbrick New Member

thank you all for your response,there's just so much to remember, like someone says its all very well doing practice exams but there not going to be the questions,anyway 23rd feb im doing it,ill let you know the outcome,well if im still here::biggrin.oh just a question will i be able to change my mouse to be left handed?

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In my exams there was no access to the desktop to change the style of mouse. My suggestion is to contact the test-centre direct and see what they can do - this must be a fairly common request.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

They will do it for you, ive been asked if i want it changed to the other side before, so if my test centre can do that then i dont see why the rest wouldnt. Like Harry said, give them a bell for confirmation

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

One of the factors that a lot of the simulation exams seem to miss is the 'knowing why a question is wrong' as opposed to knowing the right answer. You should be comfortable with both scenarios, in so much that you can recognise a wrong answer both from the question presented and the answers you have to choose from. A lot of the questions that CompTIA will present will test this skill set. How much you actually know about a subject is relative to how much you know is right and how much you KNOW is wrong, kapiche?

Certifications: A+ Network+