POOL: When will I break 10,000 posts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by BosonMichael, May 12, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...and one less hour of morning light. It all balances out. I use the same light in the early morning as I do in the late evening... where's the "savings"?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

You wanted to know the reason, this is it.

4 o clock in the morning I sleep. I do not use light when I sleep. When I wake up the sun is up. I really don't see if it is up for three hours or just two hours, but it is light then. I do save one hour of bulb light in the evening.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yea but the light is needed in the morning so that the children can get to school in the light and home as well.

That's what I've always been told.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

get them some hi vis jackets, you can't miss running one over then :D:twisted::D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

LOL @ GBL

You gotta swerve a bit but you should get most of them in one strafing run 8)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Tinus1959

I'll try to do it in a graph.

0---3---6---9--12--15--18--21--24
    +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
    ------+------------------------+---
    ------------+-------------------+--
    ----------+-------------------+----
    Legend:
    0 to 24 is the hours in one day.
    Black: hour timeline.
    Red: sun is down.
    Green: sun is up
    Blue: people sleep
    Yellow: people are awake
    Orange: people sleep (summertime)
    light green: people awake (summertime)
    You can see clearly that in the normal time schema, you need some electric light in de evening.
    With summertime the wake wakingperiod falls in the light periode, so you save two hours.

For clearity I set sunrise to 4, wake up to 8, sleep at 23 and a shift of two hours.

During the winter the periode of daylight is far shorter than the number of hours people are awake. Shifting back or foreward does not have that big amount of effect

7. BosonMichael

But you assume that people sleep/wake during those hours. That is flawed. Most people don't get up or go to sleep based on the sun anymore. They wake before they have to go to work, and they get to sleep in time to get up the next day. This might have worked back when more than 1% of the population were farmers, but it is no longer applicable today.

And again, studies show that there was absolutely NO energy savings with the switch last year, savings that they were hoping would happen... and some indicate that it actually causes energy usage to increase, such as in the state of Indiana: link 1, link 2, link 3

That third link gives good reasoning why energy use can actually increase with the implementation of DST... people are getting home during the hottest part of the day and using the air conditioner more.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. BosonMichael

You sleep at 4am, yes. But you are one person. Many others are awake before the sun comes up, and they're using electricity until then. Similarly, those who are up at night use electricity after the sun goes down. No savings.

You cannot overlook the fact that there was no energy saved when DST moved, neither here nor in Australia.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

So, when did this light-hearted pool take a left-hand turn into the Twilight Zone? :blink:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Couldn't wait coud ya' ? :p
    Who needs tomorrow when you can get their today :biggrin

11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'll bring it back down to Earth - 20th June for Mike :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  12. Tinus1959

Wrong. I assume people get up at 7 or 8 in the morning. In my graph I used 8. But 8 in the winter is 7 in the summer (in real time, the clock still says 8 ).
    I do not argue that it saved in reallity, I only gave the reason why they invented this phenomena in the first place.
    Good point.

13. Tinus1959

This...
    and this...
    contradicts in my opinion

14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Around the time that Tinus started about the pull of gravity and Jupiter, oh and the mere fact that we are in the off topic forum helps. :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. BosonMichael

Hey, I had no choice! The threads were sitting there, waiting to be answered! :biggrin

16. BosonMichael

How does saying that people who are awake before the sun comes up and sleep after the sun goes down contradict the statement that people don't wake up and fall asleep based on the rising and setting of the sun? The statements support one another. If people got up and slept based on the rising and setting of the sun, they'd be up around sunrise and down around sunset. But that doesn't happen.

So, again, I ask: why do DST? It creates no energy savings.

17. BosonMichael

Might be different in the Netherlands, but people in the US don't get up at 7 or 8 in the morning. Most have to be at work or school by 7 or 8 in the morning. I don't get up until 7:30, but I stay awake until the early-morning hours, so I'm burning the light that I "saved" by getting up late.

I already know why they invented the phenomena. What I'm saying is that their reasoning is flawed.

18. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Funny, sounds like an addiction to me :blink

I'm still sticking with the earlier prediction:

19. Tinus1959

I quit this discussion. It wil be a repetition of moves.

20. BosonMichael

It won't be repetition if you can show me what the justification is for keeping it (not what the reason was for instituting it in the first place). ;)