Plurasight vs CBT Nuggets

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JohnBradbury, Jan 15, 2016.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I'm looking to subscribe to one of the main video training providers and thought I'd ask around for some opinions.

My main focus will be the System Administration content, MCSE, Virtualisation, Citrix, CCNA, SCCM, Exchange...

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have a Pluralsight subscription courtesy of the vExpert award from VMware, I have used their training material quite a lot now and have to say that it's pretty spot on, they have so many things covered these days as well, they have a much larger content library compared to CBTNuggets as well (as well as being cheaper than CBTN I should add).

CBTN material is good, don't get me wrong but their VCP6 material is 16hours compared to 25+ hours (just the Data Center videos, not included the Foundation videos in that count).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have the pluralsight free 6 month subscription and I must say, its very very good. Better than CBTN, but CBTN is also good, depends what you like i suppose

We are trying to get our place to invest in some training for us, as at the moment, it is nonexistent, this needs to be addressed if they want to develop us etc

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

CBT nuggets is better IMO pluralsight is like youtube IMO.. CBT nuggets have more videos aimed at specific certs I also find their teaching better.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I like both a lot.

CBTNuggets - Informal style, feels like a 'real class', with a guy and a white board, tends to be cert focused.

Pluralsight - Covers masses of topics, little bit more formal but still good, much more developer topics, much more niche topics, not cert focused, skills and technology focused.

On the whole I prefer Pluralsight, its certainly nothing like YouTube, they have the top professionals in the field do most of their courses. In many areas they are way ahead of all the CBT vendor competition, and millions times better than the average YouTube content.
    The content is structured, curated, presented well, and there are exercises with real examples and tutorial files are provided. This alone is invaluable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  6. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the responses guys.

7. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

I like both but if I had a choice of one it would be CBT Nuggets although it is more expensive. In my opinion these courses are far better than the official courses that costs thousands.You can go through them at your own pace multiple times and lab against each of the videos. I have been on several company paid MCP courses and they always rush through the content and you end up having to go through it all over again later anyway. Only advantage I see with the vocational courses are you can ask questions as you are going along.

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's funny but I compared the CBTN and Pluralsight versions of the VMware VCP 6 exam and there were nearly 10 more hours of training on the Pluralsight version when compared to the CBTN version, that was excluding the Foundation videos that David Davis released.

I really think the content that's gone in to them was top notch as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    garycul likes this.