pls....need advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by wackycharles, Sep 2, 2008.

1. wackycharles

wackycharles New Member

hi guys...I buy a comptia a+ book which is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Complete-Certification-Quentin-Docter/dp/0470145609/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220347922&sr=1-2

can anybody give a opinion regarding this book if this book is good for self study for taking comptia a+ exam, and if not can anybody give a better book and simulation for comptia a+.

thank you

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  2. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I dont know about the book in question, But I can recomend Mike Meyers all in one compTIA A+ sixth edition
    its cheaper and you will find very popular at CF.:)

PS the book comes with a CD to test you as you go along.

WIP: C++ and A+
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I spy our resident author on the credits of that book.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This appears to be a boxed set, and includes the popular 'Street Smarts' from our very own Trip!
    I can't speak for the other books in the box, but the usual suggestion here is to get the Mike Meyers All-in-one as well as the Street Smarts book.

And those two would be cheaper than this boxed set.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Wiley books are normally quite good, however Mike Meyers are normally the book for the A+ :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. wackycharles

wackycharles New Member

thanks guys...I really appreciate those advice, I think I buy the wrong book, I will buy Mike Meyer all in one book for my self study in comptia a+.

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm somewhat biased because my book happens to be one of the books contained in the boxed set you reference. One of the things I noticed is that it hadn't been reviewed at Amazon.co.uk but has at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Compl...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220367983&sr=1-1

Reviews are there to help buyers decide if a book is worth buying (and I should know...I write enough reviews). That said, I'm somewhat morally bound not to recommend a book set just because I might profit by it. The Mike Meyers book is considered the gold standard of A+ certification books, so you certainly couldn't go wrong.

On the other hand, if you need a good, practical lab book that provides real-world examples of A+ tasks and skills, there *is* a book that provides what the Meyers book lacks... :rolleyes::biggrin

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Technici...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220368196&sr=1-2

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+