Pls Help! Breaking into IT Finance/Banking Sector for Support?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Adzmobile, May 1, 2011.

1. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hi,

I have been viewing this site for quite a while now but have really never asked anything before.. but was looking for some advice.

I am 24 years old and working in London City.. I am a IT graduate and also have around 3 years experience.. although its not much I have quite solid experience in 1st-2nd line support and reasonable 3rd line.. things like AD, Exchange Migration etc..

What i would like to know if anyone could tell me would be very much appreciated is.. how on earth do you break into finance sector... although im solid with all the experience they ask for, I dont have finance experience... I have worked in the Legal sector and familiar with pressured environments etc..

Is there anything I could do in particular to increase my chances of working in finance.. I have no idea how to get experience with bloomberg and reuters and things.. I have tried to download bloomberg only to discover you need to pay a huge monthly cost lol stupid i know to even think i could just put it on my pc for free..

Even if im sent back to 1st line support I dont mind.. but just getting foot through the door..

Of course im doing my best sweet talking the recruiters but any tips or anything from anyone that managed to break into finance sector?

Cheers guys, much appreciated... :)

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Please take in mind that I do not work in the financial sector, I'm only going by what I've seen/heard.

1. Proven experience in supporting 1000+ users.
    2. Some sort of Best Practice Methodology/Good Practice Methodology, eg ITIL
    3. Depending on the job role, some Telecoms experience, some DB experience, etc...
    4. Depending on the job role, you may have to settle for a 1st line job.

Don't know what you've done, but have to tried to distinguish yourself from other candidates like gaining some sort of professional cert(s)? Eg Microsoft, Apple, Linux certs.

Gaining professional status? Eg ICTTech or CITP.

What about your softskills? Eg basic project management, team leading, etc....

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the speedy response much appreciated... Im currently studyinig to pass the ITIL.. seems likes it is very quickly becoming something essential for every IT professional to have.. and will be studying for CCNA too..

Does anyone know if any kind of 'finance industry' IT training exists... like you have the bog standard IT stuff... but is there any way to gain experience in bloomberg or reuters.. or any of the financial technology used or even any certs to study for specificaly for that industry?

I have no problem settling for 1st line support although sets me back.. I think in the long run it might just be worth it..

Cheers guys!

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I work in IT at Canary Wharf not in the financial sector but I have worked with people who have and some of the stories they tell me made me realise why you can get paid so much I have seen 1st line support roles offered at 30k. and I can see why they want experienced people for example I was told how once my old boss was sitting in his office and one of the big dealers walked in to his office and put his BB on the floor stood on it said its not recieving emails get me another one. The bloke was bringing in about 500k a day for the company so he got what he wants that is the sort of environment you will be working in everything has to work all the time if it does not it can litteraly cost thousands of pounds a seconds.

Not sure if there is any sort of speific IT certs just for finance have you thought about contacting Reuters or Bloomberg and asking them if they have any jobs or training that a non employee could do to make them a potential employee?

Certifications: A few.
  5. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hi Rob,

Yeah i do keep hearing about the ridiculous people that work in these environments.. it really does seem like high pressured.. i mean working in law firms you have the high pressure aswell with partners but the stakes of course alot higher in finance and as a result probably a much more difficult working environment...

what i wonder is.. is it like that all the time.. because in IT as im sure your aware there is always difficult days that you just feel like hiding in a corner.. and then there are days that are fine..

I haven't thought of that suggestion to be honest.. its a good idea.. thanks i will defo give that a go..

What annoys me is the ridiculous money that is in the finance sector its literally double in comparison to all others.. but of course money doesnt mean anything if you cannot enjoy your job and everyday is a misery..

Do you think its worth the struggle to get into this industry? :blink

6. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

It all depends I think if you can get past 1/2nd line in the finance sector then you are making some big money and you dont have the stress of dealing with the people screaming in your face but you going to have to spend a few years of people shouting at you to get there.

Also once you spend a few years doing support in that environment supporting users in your every day office environment will be a walk in the park.

Certifications: A few.
  7. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

That is definately true.. once you've worked in those environments everything else will seem like a breeze lol

Yeah.. im all abit.. 50/50 to be honest.. I guess I'll have to just keep tring and try experience it for myself to see what its really like and if its too hard i can always run out screaming and crying.. thats if i can even get that opportunity! lol

User support is not really what i want to be doing anyway.. Im really tring to get into the 3rd line and networking side of things.. just working my way up there really... supporting users in any environment is abit of a nuisance and constantly being tested on patience..

Ahh.. the challanges of IT.. but i still love it :)

8. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

when I was working in London I fell into it by accident. Some recruiter had seen my CV on monster and called me up. Went for an interview at 1 of the insurance sindicates in Lloyds and was working 2 days later. I believe that the insurance side of the finance / IT market is a bit less stressful then the sharetrading / banking etc side of it as everyone in the company seemed to spend a lot of time at the pub and the majority of the staff were quite nice to work with.

Money was still very good though and even the first line support guys were getting 10k bonuses (this was all pre crash).

If something went wrong though you had to know your stuff as once people started losing money attitudes changed very quickly. Not a lot of patience for "Ill just google that to see if I can figure out how fix it".

Not sure what it is like now but the market must be picking up as Im getting increased amounts of spam from recruiters over there, even though I left the country 2 years ago :p

Good luck getting a foot in the door, the financial rewards are certainly worth it.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's