Please help

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by danluty, Jun 26, 2007.

1. danluty

danluty New Member

hi all im new to the forum and was hoping someone could give me some advice i want to get into field engineering and wanted to know whats the best first step to take i had originally registered with james thornton college but after reading an article on this site im having second thoughts.

i am currently working in a helpdesk position so im not a total techno-phobe but would probably need start from an entry level position i have been looking at taking the comptia a+ course from a site www.learnitonline.co.uk does anyone know this site ??

also would it be foolish to jump straight in and do a mcse course??

2. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

The general opinion from most in this forum is to do the A+ first, this will give you a good grounding and as you are already working in IT you could probably do it self study. If you do decide on the A+ be aware that the 2003 objectives finish on June 30 so you would have to start the 2006 sylabus. (the site you listed still has the 2003 objectives). Which ever way you go you can get some great advise throughout this forum. Hope this is a help to you. Gary

Certifications: A+
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums danluty, you made a good decision by joining. These guys/gals here will help you a lot with future studies and advice.

Basically what Robbo1962 said, try A+ first as it is entry level cert, then maybe start looking into Network+ and MCP for windows xp or vista and go from there. The IT field is huge as there is so many specializations to do.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

This is THE question. Take a good journey through these forums and see what others have said on the subject. You WILL probably find that the A+ is recomended first, but then you have to figure out where you think your tallents lye and focus in on what you enjoy the most.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Definitely recommend the A+ and Network+ first. Save the MCSE for when you've got some real-world experience under your belt.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. danluty

danluty New Member

cheers people i have been reading through the forum and the a+ is highly rated by most and relatively cheap which is a bonus i think ill go for that thanks for the tip on the 2003 2006 sylabus as well good to know

thanks again

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Much will depend on what you mean by 'field engineer'. Are you thinking of house calls and small business calls where you fix things (hopefully) on site? And are you expecting to work for a company, or will you go it alone?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forums!

A+ is definitely worth taking; it gives you a good vendor neutral grounding technology-wise before you make further decisions on where to take your career.

What do you do in your current helpdesk role?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

Defianately look through the forum though mate as theres many good posts and good book recommedations for the A+, id also look at some of the topics about safe studying, the exam is only £120ish for the essentials and i guess the same for the second one, then its the price of a few books. Loads cheaper i guess then getting a training provider, wish i joined before i signed up in a way lol

From my experience on here mate , from the questions ive asked these guys know there stuff and very good at explaining!

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
    WIP: MCSE