Please help - Need some advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Me2u_RaGee, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Me2u_RaGee

Me2u_RaGee Bit Poster

Hiya all of you.

I just read all your post about James Thornton Ltd which makes me a lot scared now so I
    Seriously need some advice :cry:

I joined James Thornton Ltd at Feb. 08 and i think it all looked so real and i enrolled at
    their "college". I paid £1000 upfront which is a lot of money but they had certificates and
    all so i really believed it that they would provide me with training. My full course was £8000 but the rest £7000 would be deducted from my salary monthly when i got a job.

I did their four weeks training at MCSA course in Victoria with them and then they moved office to Tottenham Hale. They had their labs there where we had to travel everyday and study.
    Then they moved office again near Chancery Lane but their lab wasnt ready. I kept phoning them to ask but no one answers.

2 weeks ago i got this letter saying that i had to pay the rest of my money within 7 days or else id be passed on to debt collectors which i really got scared of and called them. Next day a lady called me saying that i should ignore it.

And now i got a letter saying that i am one of its creditors. I now think that i have made a huge stupid mistake and thinking of asking for my money back or go to courts.

What do you guys think i should do?
    Or have any of you had a similar experience? :cry:
    Please help

2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

never heard of them , but there website also seems to be down

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Did you pay via credit card or a loan?

If so there is legislation in the consumer credit acts which allows you to reclaim money back from the lender as well as the provider in these instances.

Check out consumeractiongroup website for more info

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. FreeMan

FreeMan Bit Poster

If you want a name behind this, he is called Manoj Tailor.
    Check this site:
    http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/tradingstandards.bcc

------------------------------
    Trading Standards

This page is known as: http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/tradingstandards

IN THE NEWS

James Thorton Group Ltd

It has been reported that James Thornton Group Limited at Faraday Wharf, Holt Street, Birmingham have ceased trading from those premises. James Thornton advertised I.T. training courses covering Microsoft, Cisco and other software packages, promising employment to people from day one.

Trading Standards have received a number of complaints from members of the public advising that the courses were badly taught and tutorial aids were not supplied. This meant that students were unable to complete courses with the appropriate knowledge and therefore unable to sit their exams. Those that did complete the course were not offered employment.

Where students have paid for these courses via credit agreements and the course has not been supplied, we advise them to contact the finance company explaining the situation and to ask to be released from their agreements. This should be done in writing and the letter sent by recorded delivery post.

In the meantime we would ask students to contact our advice lines on 0121 303 6031 or via email to: [email protected] giving the full details of their complaint so that we can collate all of the information required to investigate this company. We will provide further information as soon as possible.

Update - 3 November 2008

A firm of insolvency practitioners has been appointed to assist with the preparation of a creditors' meeting. Details of the company are listed below. The meeting will be held at their offices on 13 November at 11.30am.

Ashcrofts
    601 High Road
    Leightonstow
    E11 4PA.

You should contact Ashcrofts if you are owed money or have a complaint to make about the service you have received from the James Thornton Group. Write to them detailing your complaint. Keep a copy of your letter and send it by recorded delivery.

------------------------------

Note for the Forum masters: please move all discussions about JTG in a same section.
    This case is going live now, by which I mean that it's not many days before they go into liquidations and finally get away with it.
    As far as they had used the same threatening menaces about your forum some months ago, maybe you could help fighting this scammers...

Thanks for your help to everyone.

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There are quite a lot of threads about James Thornton here, and at one time an apparent member of the company joined this forum and commented.

What you should do *completely* depends on how you signed up and paid for the course.

Your best bet would be to get all the paperwork you have together and go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and see what they have to say.

My *guess* is that the £1000 won't be recoverable, but that you will not be required to pay further. But that is just a guess.

Best of luck.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Me2u_RaGee

Me2u_RaGee Bit Poster

no i paid by cheque....and i have tried to write to the trading standards in birmingham yesterday so i havent heard from them yet. I am so scared that i might loose the money.

7. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Sounds like a company that doesn't provide very helpful assistance, and sounds like a company that isn't very operational considering the fact their website is always down, and that they don't answer the phones. I'm pretty sure they're obligated by law to be fair, but the fact they don't even communicate with you or make it difficult, may be a breach of The Consumer Credit Act, and you may be able to battle them on the unfair relationships provisions - I don't know what the exact unfair relationship provisions consists of, but search up on it, and see if it relates to you in any way. Good luck and keep us updated

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  8. Me2u_RaGee

Me2u_RaGee Bit Poster

hey all...

thanks for ur advice but im scared that its not only me but they are cheating loads of people for money.
    They shouldnt easily be let gone so i am thinking of taking this to court, but im scared of if i will suceed.
    I have spoken to my other collegues but they say its no point because they will not get their money back
    but i have paid a lot of money in cash so i dont want it to go to wastages like them..
    it can be paid for home study.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Harry. Get all the paper work together then vistiti your local CAB and get some advice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Me2u_RaGee

Me2u_RaGee Bit Poster

but they tell me to do my own investigation :eek: i just went there on friday and they told me that i had to
    do my own investigation...my citizens advice bereau is no help... :cry:
    i have written to the trading standards in birmingham...if he is no help then i will try and take it further
    to courts but im scared of losing...

11. greenbrucelee

If the CAB are not going to help you or your local trading standards then you have no chance in court.

What exactly happened?

12. Me2u_RaGee

Me2u_RaGee Bit Poster

I joined James Thornton Ltd at Feb. 08 and i think it all looked so real and i enrolled at
    their "college". I paid £1000 upfront which is a lot of money but they had certificates and
    all so i really believed it that they would provide me with training. My full course was £8000 but the rest £7000 would be deducted from my salary monthly when i got a job.

I did their four weeks training at MCSA course in Victoria with them and then they moved office to Tottenham Hale. They had their labs there where we had to travel everyday and study.
    Then they moved office again near Chancery Lane but their lab wasnt ready. I kept phoning them to ask but no one answers.

2 weeks ago i got this letter saying that i had to pay the rest of my money within 7 days or else id be passed on to debt collectors which i really got scared of and called them. Next day a lady called me saying that i should ignore it.

And now i got a letter saying that i am one of its creditors. I now think that i have made a huge stupid mistake and thinking of asking for my money back or go to courts.

This is what happened :cry: i am thinking of going to anotha CAB not to my local one...

13. greenbrucelee

if you now owe them money then you owe them money. The only way you can get out of it is to provide proof that they havent delivered on the contract you signed.

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You have been told you are one of their creditors.

The company has gone bust. *read FreeMan's post*

They are now no longer trading.

The liquidators will apportion any monies that James Thorntons business's have and dish it out to the creditors as they see fit.

I wouldn't hold my breath and expect a big refund.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

What ever you do, don't hand over anymore cash. if they want to take you to court let them. As far as I can see, if they have stopped trading then there is nothing they can do, all they are trying to do is raise any monies they can before they get shut down.

Wait and wait and wait and speak to a solictior (may cost around £200) before you do anything.

HTH

MrM