Please can i have some advise on tools to buy.

Discussion in 'A+' started by jimbo0282, Feb 13, 2008.

1. jimbo0282

jimbo0282 Bit Poster

Hi there everyone!

Im just about to order the mike myers all in one book, i have got myself a P.C. for the hands on, all i need now is a decent tool kit. Please can you lovely guys and gals out there advise me on a good quality tool kit as i would rather buy a good one now so i know i have the right gear and it wont break on me. I do have a good quality mechanics tools kit at work as i currently work in a garage, so i might already have some of the tools i need but if i can see what tools you get in a PC tecnicians kit i can go from there. Sorry about the long winded question, hope you can help.

Thank you

Jimbo!

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Usually all you'll need is an ESD wristrap and a Phillips and Flathead screw driver (non magnetic would be better).

You can get full PC Technician toolkits from maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33778&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=computer toolkit&doy=13m2 it doesn't come with an ESD wriststrap so you'll need to get one seperately.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

GBL is spot on there.

My experience with garage toolsets is that they are rather larger than those required for PCs. :biggrin But at least you know that a good toolset is an asset!

Edit: Also consider getting a cheap Digital Multimeter. Maplins do these at very reasonable prices. One costing about £20 will be perfectly good.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

A philips screw driver is pretty much my toolkit. I never really need anything else except for some rare cases like testing a power supply or something then I'll use a multimeter. But honestly you'll see that once you start troubleshooting all you'll need is space and a screw driver or two, at least that's in my case.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

A make up brush is great for dusting down components like RAM sticks and heatsinks etc. I would definitely get hold of one if you can.

My brother got my a pc repair toolkit a couple of years ago and all I really use is the flat head and cross head screw drivers. It also has a great little tool like a pair of long thin tweezers which is very useful for getting small components out of hard to reach places. Apart from that I haven't really used the other tools for working on pc's.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Personally I would buy all the tools needed seperately, I suppose the pc toolkits are ok for occasional use when when they get used on a regular basis they dont last too long. those tools are alright until some tool has tried to upgrade their pc and managed to wedge a screw in at a rather unusual angle. I love my rachet screw driver as it does all the daintey stuff and gives me some decent force when required.

Pretty much you should go to diy shops and look for tools that fit your need now, im a bit like a magpie in those shops if anything looks like it might even remotely useful i'll buy it.

There was another recent post about tools in the comptia section somewhere.

edit:

here it is http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9817

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. jimbo0282

jimbo0282 Bit Poster

Cheers guys! thanks for helping me get sorted just gotta get on with it now. To be honest im looking forward to it and now that i can see ive got all the help i need on here all is great.

Cheers again!

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+