Please advise!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gunner81, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

Hi guys!
    I want a bit of advise from all the helpful members here. I have done A+ and I have done 70-270. But these I did like 4 years back when I had no experience. I then got a job in a telecom company as a tech support, but it did not involve computers but involved supporting customers with landline issues. I had thought that once I got a bit of phone experience I would then try to apply for level 1 tech support for computers. Then I actually got comfortable with my current job and have been in it for 4 years now.

This job is currently not helping further my career. I have the customer facing experience and even troubleshooting experience but I need to get into IT tech support. I guess I would have to look for lvl 1 helpdesk role for it. But I am confused as I guess I would have to study for a certification again as MCP that I studied for I can recall only bits and pieces. What do you think I should do to get into IT. Should I do certain certifications again and then look for a new job? If so what certifications should I do?
    Do let me know.
    Thanks a lot :)

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: Network+, MCITP
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Having read you post above I would say you have some advantage that others might not have as in you're working in the IT field. I do however, understand that your current role is customer facing and am assuming that your duties involves some troubleshooting over the phone etc.

Well with regards to certification this would boil down to which area of IT you want to advance into and hence the A+ cert and the MCP would be your best bet. On the other hand start looking for more hands on related tech roles such as helpdesk support, 1st line support and desktop support roles.

All the best and let us know what you decide. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

Hi Onoski!
    My role does involve troubleshooting but I deal with customers that have problem with their phones. Usually they have no dial tone or could be a problem with the phone line outside so we troubleshoot to find out if the phone is faulty or the phone line outside. It does not involve troubleshooting their computer system. Thats the reason the current job is not helping me further my career in IT. Though I do troubleshoot and talk to customers.

I am confused if I should do another certification maybe in windows 7 and then look for work because the mcp I had done 4 years back I have pretty much forgotten now. I am looking for more IT related helpdesk roles. Also I was wondering if doing 70-680 will help me.

4. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

anyone?

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

In this respect the MCP in windows XP Pro would prove more helpful in terms of using it to acquire an IT helpdesk or 1st line technical support role.

This is simply because a lot of company's still use windows XP Pro as the desktop operating system.

On the hand start looking for the above roles now whilst studying for the MCP cert.

Another helpful cert to consider would be the A+ as it covers hardware and software support aspects including all the current operating systems. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry just noticed your signature that you already have the MCP in windows XP and the A+ cert. Well in that respect you can definitely start applying for helpdesk and 1st line support roles using those cert to your advantage.

You'd be amazed how many calls you'd be receiving from IT recruitment agencies once they notice you have the cert on your CV. On the other hand most recruitment agents are just time wasters as they don't have any role going but are fishing for idea about your current role to gain contact etc.

Well that's for another discussion as you would learn fast which agents are genuine and which are time wasters after receiving several calls etc. Whatever you do don't give a reference to an agent or contact name of your current company.

Tip, ask them over the phone to go over the current role on offer as well as possibly send you a job spec. The one's that are clowns would probably cut the conversation off.

All the best and cheerio:)

7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

As Onoski has said, your MCP is still pertinent as XP is still very much used within business the world over, the 270 exam is even now still being offered as it is a 'core' element within the MCSA/E!
    Along with your A+ there is really no reason for you not to put yourself forward to 1st line type jobs now.

I would suggest though that, as you say yourself that the XP knowledge is a a distant memory, maybe setting up a PC running XP (as a dual-boot or virtual-machine) and going over any study material you may still have from these courses would be a good idea.
    There's no reason not to get hold of some study material for the 70-680 to take a look at and, if you are happy that it's something you'd like to approach, you can then mention on your CV that you are, through self-study, studying towards this (MCTS) exam.

HTH & good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  8. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

Thanks Onoski and RichyV. Both of you have been very helpful with the advise. I would brush up on 70-270 and a bit of A+ and would start applying for Helpdesk roles! Thanks once again!