please advise skills train scheidegger

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by stevieg123, Jul 22, 2005.

1. stevieg123

stevieg123 New Member

Hi every body just joined the forums after enroling with skills train i have enroled in a+ c+ and ccna. One question I have has anybody on here done any of these course with the training provider and gained employment. I have done a search and noticed that they do get a lot of bad press however my back ground is in training for the oil and gas industry so I do know how difficult it can be to please every body I am currently uinemployed and was just wondering if i do pass the course am I going to get any employment or am i waisting my time and money I know that getting a job is down to me but are these qualifications woth anything within the industry please help

Steve

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Stevie. I have an A+, Network+ (I have no idea what a C+ is unless you mean a programming language like C/C++) and CCNA. I got my first practical experience in IT because I had an A+. I worked for awhile as a freelance technician, taking whatever contract job the recruiting agencies offered me. The Network+ probably was closely associated with getting me some of those jobs and the CCNA probably only got me one job (though it was sweet) doing a series of Ethernet rollouts by installing and testing Cisco Catalyst switches in bank branches.

I got lucky with my first few jobs since I had no experience in that they were pretty simple and straightforward and the instructions I'd been sent were clear and easy to follow (when you do freelance, your "supervisor" is likely hundreds of miles away). Each contract job built on the last and I slowly gained the experience I needed for more challenging jobs and more importantly, began to learn just where my niche was in IT.

Yes, the certs can help you get employed but you are also going to have to expect to pay your dues and take entry level positions to build up your experience base. The certs might help get your foot in the door somewhere but experience is what you'll build your career upon.

Hope that helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

As you're currently unemployed your situation would probably be similar to mine. I put myself through the A+ (self study) managing to just about fund it myself (the exams were a little under £100 each back then plus a couple of books) despite being on the dole. I had only a tiny amount of practical experience up to that point (installed a couple of CD drives, memory sticks, nothing difficult). The A+ managed to get me my first job as an ICT Technician at a local school - low paid but it was a start. The hands on in the meantime has given me plenty of experience and has helped me get all the certs I have to date.. (and no way would I have passed the 70-290 without the experience I'd got during the last two years at the two school jobs I've been in!).

Keep your eyes out for entry-level jobs as a Technician or helpdesk positions (these will probably turn up in local paper/job centre ads rather than recruitment websites) to get your career started.

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  4. stevieg123

stevieg123 New Member

Guys Thanks for this I was worried after reading some of the posts that i just got myself in to debt for no reason i didnt think i would get a high paid job to start with although the sale man seem to think i would wonder what his commision is so realy they are worth doing even if they only get your foot in the door ( i meant n+)

5. Auyx52

Auyx52 New Member

I have recently started an a skillstrain N+/CCNA/CCNP and about halfway through the salesmans spiel he said that skillstrain now GARANTEE that they will get you a job paying £25k within 2 months of finishing my CCNP or my money back. He also said that the only reason Skillstrain are doing this is because Computeach started doing it. He said that if you read the computeach contract that it garantees you a £25k job but not neceserily in the feild you studied. Has anyone finished a skillstrain course with one of these garuntees and what kind of job offers did you receive?

WIP: n+/CCNA/CCNP Via Skillstrain
  6. knightofnuada

knightofnuada Nibble Poster

Is that guarentee in writing? Because my current thought involves a tub of salt and a very large pinch ...

All the salesman said to me was that they would arrange an interview with Manpower when I complete my course ...

WIP: A+, Network +, CCNA
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Interesting. You could arrange your own interview with Manpower Professional. I've worked with them in the past and have gotten some interesting temp jobs through them.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. caterpillar

caterpillar New Member

When I enquired for courses, all I wanted was a price list and a brief description of the qualification. Instead I get a sales man telling me "they would defo get me a job paying a min of 18K" and that scheidegger qualifications were better then the ones you get at college, he even had graphs of employability of different sorts of students, with theirs being top of the pops. :D I thought I was onto a winner. Then when I got in touch with Luton at the end of the course they told me to register with monster and Manpower and that was it!!! :eek: The agency told me that to start a new career i'll have to start at the bottom and expect a starting rate of 12K until i gain experience. But not many employers will employ trainees, so there'll be a wait. Gutted. :cry: All I would advise is find out whether the qualiications you intend to study are what the employer wants by contacting a few employers. Don't let the sales man suck you in by offering discounts for purchasing on the day, because you can get more appropriate training for less. :dry

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, if a professional salesman uses an expression like 'defo' then be aware...
    I assume you were quoting?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

or even the word "definitely"

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong