Played GTA4?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by IThurts, Apr 30, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

I dunno buddy, havent played it yet!Got itchy fingers though. wanted to play it last night but decided to switch around the cables in my PC instead. Hate stuff like that lingering over my head!!:x

Anyway, yea there are about 15 different MP modes by default cops and robbers being one/DM/TDM...and the superb thing is the CUSTOM MP mode...pretty much set up your own MP situation/mode and play. I read somewhere someone set up a mode with players perched ontop of a huge scysraper and 1 player in a chopper armed with missiles.....the object was to see who would be the last alive without getting obliterated by the rockets...lol....a bit stupid, but just an example of the depth in the MP really.8)

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The top-down versions were GTA and GTA2. Then came GTA3, then Vice City, then San Andreas, then GTA4.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

And the London version :) was GTA 1 or 2

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

My copy's on order, went for the PS3 special edition - although the order status isn't looking good (on special order from our suppliers...)
    Most of my mates at work have already got theirs. Gets. :x
    Very much looking forward to the multiplayer (we're all on PS3's)

PC version's due out November-ish, I think.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I just got the game during lunch break at work. Can't wait to play tonight.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

See. I'm wavering. On the one hand, I want to get it now.

But I bought GTA3 for the Xbox, and for some reason, the control system just didnt seem to gel with me.

Just not really sure whether to get it or not.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. BosonMichael

Ah yes, I remember that now... I believe it was an add-on to 1.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Fergal1982

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Have I played GTA4? Nah. Do I plan to? Nah. What a boring waste of time.... I'd much rather go take pictures or stick my nose in a book or three.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

^ boringgggggggg....:D

On the subject of GTA4..played it last night...here are my thoughts..

First impression was that the cinematics/cutscenes look very similar to that in terms of grapx to the PS2/xbox (original)..i was a bit stunned actually:blink
    I had to turn up my 5.1 surround sound like to level 20 to actually HEAR what the feck the characters were talkinga about...the voices are very low and muffled in the beginning.

I know im only 3% complete into the game and havent even picked up a gun yet but i just felt a sense of "letdown"...not too much mind but aside from the above mentioned the game is a blast. The ingame grapx are quite nice, but cant figure out really wat i think of it yet tbh:blink Roll on PC version i say.

Im not sure if its just the fact that i am using a component cable for my 360, which gives me the HD effect but i used to use a dvi connection and by swithcing to component i dont get that washed out look anymore. The dvi however, gave me smoother edges.

You'll see what i mean by the cutscenes though, nothing pretty to look at tbh and reminds me of san andreas cut scenes...maybe they wanted to keep the "feel" of GTA intact??

The envrinment feels very "close". As though your crammed into these streets and almost to me feels a little confined. A huge map granted, but whilst PLAYING you dont take that scope into consideration, you only look and "feel" what is directly around you.

Maybe its coz iv only played it once so far...maybe a few beers and then playing might make me a bit happier with it all. Could also be the plethora of 10/10's it has received had hyped me too much?

Small things
    All in all, it is a great looking IN GAME experience...loads of little things to keep you entertained...Just small things like when you give way to somone in a car the passenger or driver will put thier hand up to say thanks...lol...amazing liitle things like that. OTher things include the addition of full beam headlights are toggleable, but so far i havent seen many food shops that are available, only hot dog stands! If you like the small things, then this game will please you.the addition when you hold down the B button switches to cinematic cam and if you hold down the left analog stick it gives you slo mo...where someone will have the time to press all these buttons whilst on a high speed chase is another matter..
    I wish though that the police were a little more responsive....i kicked the crap out of this guy who decided to pummel my newly stolen car(the cheek of it!), actually he got out of his car with a knife so i got out...dodged his knife swipe and disarmed him, then commenced to kick the **** outta him, he was lying on the floor with his blood splatter on my car bonnet left him there whilst the police drove not only past him but OVER him...i mean....come on!! I was begging the police to sstop and chase me or something...?!? If only for the realism aspect.
    Other small aspects include when you go and get S*** faced at a bar, the animation of the characters is brilliant!! You wobble all over the shop and your screen shakes...i got drunk with Roman and decided to drive home...(bad idea btw), my whole screen was shaking (warning to people who get motion sickness in games) and the car is stupidly uncontrolable, i soon had the police on my tail and managed to loose em somehow..? The police (in my short time playing) leave something to be desired imho.

The flow and animatiion is something speacial to in re to the characters ai and human alike. Aside from the annoying "slant" Nico takes when you turn him left or right...looks like he is about to fall over!! The camera controls are a little annoying too tbh especially on foot...you swing the camera with the right stick but it swings back to the default center position too quick forcing you to keep pushing it to keep your eye on whatever it is your looking at.

I know i am rambling about all the small things...but these things do hinder your experience somewhat and just though id let you guys know. Cant wait for the pc version, i always prefered them on PC, means i can view it in 1680 and have the power of the 8800GTS to keep the grapx sweet.

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I take it you havent got the xbox with HDMI capability?

The component cable is ok but doesn't give full hi def it only goes to 1080i and the xbox360 is best on 720p but those newer ones with HDMI do full 1080p:p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Nah your on about the elites...would like to get one but cant justify another cost for 1 port:blink

You think i should switch back to DVI...in re to which one SHOULD provide better quality? Should i keep the 360 @ 720p also?

13. greenbrucelee

do a test have your faster most graphical game on 720p on the normal lead then do switch over to the component and put it 1080i.

on my mates oblivion runs well at 1080i but Halo looks better are 720p :blink also gears of war is better at 720p.

I never had a hd tv when I had an xbox so I was always running at 720p but it I had deeper blacks because it was CRT and my mates is LCD.

14. Fergal1982

ummm... you dont need to buy an elite to get an HDMI Cable

15. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

No but you need a 360 which has hdmi support....these consoles are newer versions of the 360 OR the elite and the consoles released at launch did not have this support...and i bought mine on release day...so...........

16. greenbrucelee

you have had the same one since release, I had 4 and I bought my first one on release I got so pissed of that when MS sent me the new one I sold it and got a PC instead.

17. Fergal1982

Fair point. Theres always [url="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/117626.html]This[/url]

18. BosonMichael

I seem to remember someone in the PC/Consoles thread complain about having to dink about on the PC with graphics configurations to make things look "just right"... :hhhmmm seems just as difficult on a console! :p hah!!!!

With this next to a keyboard and mouse, all your problems are solved: 8)

[​IMG]

I hope that this is an AI problem limited only to the consoles. That'd suck if it acts similarly on the PC. :dry

You must have been too drunk to remember how you lost them. :twisted: :alc

Another benefit of GTA4 on the PC... mouse look. No swinging back to center. Where you look is where you look.

To each his own. :)

19. Fergal1982

according to the reviews, the your rating creates a radius around the crimescene where the police will search for you. The higher your rating, the bigger the radius. Escape the radius, and you lose the police.

20. greenbrucelee

Just to add you can get drunk in the game and when you drive a car the controls become reversed.

I am going to get vice city today as a local store is selling it for £5 then I can see how the PC version is :p