Piping Commands in CMD for XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Can anyone tell me how to pipe the output of a command into a specific variable of a piped command?

For instance, i want to take the output of:

Code:
    dsquery user -name fergal.reilly
    into:

Code:
    dsget user xxx -memberof
    at the xxx location.

Thanks
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Google came with;

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/DSGet.htm

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cach...om+dsquery+into+dsget+&hl=en&client=firefox-a

WIP: A+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I didn't follow Neall's links but if you run "dsget /?" from a command prompt the help screen will actually show you how you pipe the output of one dsquery into dsget. All you do is use the | symbol between the two commands. That is the symbol you get when you hit shift + \.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Fergal1982

i know how to pipe, i just cant get it to pipe the output to a specific section of the input for some reason.

However, in the context of the above example, i think the -dn switch does it. but id like to know how to do it generically, the above are current examples only, might want to do it with other commands.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. ffreeloader

I don't understand what you are trying to do. When you pipe the output of dsquery into dsget you're going to get a list. What are you trying to use the xxx for? Is that a dsget parameter? What? I don't see anything in the dsget syntax that shows another paramter like that in the way you're trying to use it, but then maybe, as I said above, I'm confused as to exactly what you're trying to do.

6. Fergal1982

i was using those commands as an example of what i meant. xxx is the location in the command where i want to input the output from the previous command.

ill give another example, say i want to list all text files called 'test' on my C: drive, and have them all open in notepad, id use something like this (id expect):

Code:
    dir test.txt /s | notepad xxx
    what i dont know, is what to put where xxx is in order to make it open all those results. If i just put 'notepad', all that would happen would be that a blank text file would open in notepad (ive tried it).

Fergal

7. ffreeloader

Well, that's kind of an odd use of the dir command. Here's how I would use it.

"dir C:\Program Files > c:\test.txt" If I did this in a script I would then call notepad and tell it to open c:\test.txt: notepad c:\test.txt. I don't think you can pipe the output directly into notepad because the file you're creating will be in use at the time you call notepad.