Ping Runners

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Haven't been running per say, but I have been hitting the gym hard.

I did a cut for a month and a half in Jan and Feb eating right and hitting the CV. Have been using weights for the last two months with exercises from the Hugh Jackman workout.

Mon - Chest & Back (someone told me this is Arnie style!)

Wed - Legs & Shoulders

Fri - Core & Arms

Just hit 11.3% Body Fat and back to being able to dip my own body weight 15 x (nice and slow) and chin up (full extension) 0 x again nice and slow.

Aiming to get to 10% Body Fat by the end of June then my 6 pack will be complete :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Good to hear. Whats your weight? I'm 188lb at 13% ish at the mo but normally I'm around 205 though I do get suspicious chin development at that weight.:oops: I tend to just cut weight for the summer to make running easier as I dont get out much in the winter so just focus on weights. I can usually bench over 300lb x 8 but not on a diet. I drop it to around 270lb for 10 and longer rests

I'm going to make a concerted effort to stay under 205 from now on as I switched from ju jitsu to MMA a year ago and if I want to fight in the amateurs I dont fancy the light heavyweight class. Some of those guys are monsters.

If you want good training information for muscle building I recommend http://www.t-nation.com/

Great articles and a good community.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

During my cut I went down to 157lbs. Now at 160lbs as I think I have put on 3lbs of muscle mass over the last two months.

Mate that Benching is impressive, does that include the Bar or not?

Benching is my achilles heal, I can only Bench my body weight 6 x (75kg) at the moment. Goal is to try and hit 100kg by the end of the year.

Whats your favourite and most hated exercise?

My favourite has to be Preacher EazyCurl Bar, I hit 35kg inc the bar.

My worse has got to be Front Raise Dumbells, I hit 12.5kg x 6 reps, its like having your shoulders ripped off!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol.

My knee went a bit funny again towards the end of tonights run. Managed to run through it though and it seems fine now...apart from the fact that when I go down the stairs you can hear a kind of crunchy/grinding noise on both knees - that never happened before - euugh!...

So what is this glucosamine? How long you been using it, and do you see a significant change?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  5. skulkerboyo

Thats with the Bar included. Took me nearly 4 years to get to those digits though and I had to put on a lot of bad weight to eat enough to get stronger. I train with guys who can bench well over 400 and they never diet as they dont want to get weaker which is fair enough if thats your thing but I only really go crazy for the weights in winter when I can eat:biggrin

I hate squats and running is the perfect excuse not to do them. My favourite is bench and shoulder press though I am partial to wide grip pullups. I tend really only to focus on upper body which could be considered lame by some people but these are the same people that arent running 15 miles a week. I like to be able to do a bit of everything

Oh avoid skull crushers for triceps. Myself and 2 others I know have give themselves really bad tendonitiis from them

Other than for presses I tend to use lighter weights for shoulders. I do a lot of back work. I find the pulling exercises help with fore arm development. I know guys with great biceps but no forearms and they rarely exercise back. I try to use rope as much as possible instead of a bar for pulling exercises as it encourages use of firm grip and activates the forearms more.

Back to the running though. Went a little bonkers on the cross trainer wednesday so couldnt really run yesterday but looking forward to the weekend

Leehaa

Not overly sure what glucosamine does specifically but I know it aids joints or cartilidge or summat. Doctors even prescribe it to oldies. It can be a little more pricey than things like cod liver oil but my joints have never felt so good. Dont like the sound of your grinding clicking knees though! Might want to go see someone about that

Do you take cod liver oils and stay well hydrated. I get through sometimes more than four litres of water a day to compensate for how active I am. Does mean alot of tiolet trips though:oops:

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Ah ok, well will take a lookie when I next pass a chemists.
    Never felt so good? What, do you mean in a smooth gliding non-clicky type of way? lol :)
    Yeah well it's probably the fact that I never really built up to the 10k. Started at my new place and went running one lunch a week or so after with some colleagues and that's the distance they did, so that is what I continued to do. Before that I hadn't been all that regular and did more like a 5k when I did go....been talking to a friend who runs and they suggest to rest for a week or so, then do shorter distances, but more often until i've adapted my body sufficiently...

Trying to up the water intake as definitely don't get anywhere near enough...I looked at the cod liver, but they all seem to come with added this and added that, which worries me as I feel that by taking them i'll take too much of another vitamin (take a daily multivit). Do you know of any that are literally just the cod liver oil?

7. skulkerboyo

You can buy it just on its own in a bottle which is better. The EPA and DPA concentration is the main thing you want them for and its quite low in the pills compared to just oil in the bottle. You just have to deal with swallowing pure fish oils:blink

As for the bristol 10k
    I finished in 46.13 and came 818th

I reckon I'd have done better if it wasnt so bloody hot. Had a moment at 7k where my vision went black and white and had to slow down.

I'll be putting my sore shins up for a couple weeks now to heel fully then training for the Toughguy begins.

8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on that time skulker - I've been trying my best to increase my time over a mile recently, started around 10 mins 30 s and now down to 8:15 for a mile so pretty happy with that. Try to get out and have a run most nights - only for 15 mins or so, but I'm prepared for the long haul to get better :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. skulkerboyo

Anything around 8 mins per mile is good in my books. I'm gonna try and do an 8 min mile in the half marathon this year.

I have a friend whos doing this

crazy!

10. skulkerboyo

Long time and no pings

Hows it going out there. This is the best time of year for running after all. That is unless the sweet smell of ale and cider keeps you pounding the pints instead of the streets. I'm guilty on this one I must confess but have to go tee total for 6 weeks as I've rather stupidly got alot of stuff to train for and it means some very early starts

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I ran a 3-miler about 3 weeks ago, but nothing since.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. skulkerboyo

Good stuff. I'm just going to hit the gym until friday, cycle on sat then rest and run on monday. Oddly I find i run better if I only do one long distance run a week. I get great improvements in speed for some reason. All my other runner friends run 4 times a week or more when training

Bit of a heatwave here at the mo so indoors for me

13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Do you go to the gym on your "early starts", or do you go for one of your shorter runs...or a mixture?

14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Well done with your 3-miler

15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Not sure if your aware but you can get another supplement that has glucosamine and chondriotin in it, i found that worked far better than glucosamine alone when i was weight training. Might be worth giving it a shot.:)

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  16. BosonMichael

I should be running longer and more often! I'm such a slacker! :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  17. skulkerboyo

My early starts are mainly saturday mornings. Really messes up my drinking on the weekends:biggrin I'm training for a cycle race to London from Bristol in august and as the long cycles take a long time I do them early to avoid cutting into my day too much. Currently at 50 miles. Need to build to a min of 80 as the total distance on the day is 120+

I also have the toughguy challenge on the 26th so doing my running for that and trying to get my weight down further to make the assault course easier. I will definately link to pics of that.

I use Glucosamin with chrondroitin when I remember to buy it but my joints have een lovely and silky lately so just sticking to the gallons of fish oils at the mo

18. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Ah, well Saturdays are the best, as if you work too hard you can always go back to bed and watch television afterwards (If you don't have to work)

I weighed myself the other day (after clothes getting a bit tight), and was unpleasantly shocked! Needless to say, I have upped the runs again and already lost 4 lbs in 1.5 weeks - lol. BMI hits the perfect zone still, but I want to lose 8lbs (which is still in the healthy zone - just the lower end) ...so another 10k tonight (knee is recovered)

Good luck with all your training. 120 miles is crazy. Do they have the usual thing where you can stop and get drinks at village halls, stands etc on the way, or do you have to take your own fuel?

Lee

19. skulkerboyo

I hope they have a few stops. I know they have one for lunch but I'll be wearing my trusty backpack with a bladder, waterproofs, snacks and eee pc with hsdpa dongle:biggrin

20. BosonMichael

I ran 3 miles today (30:56.50) and biked for another 2+ miles. Yay!