Ping Runners

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Thanks for that... repped!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Well I've decided that reading all the other posts - my running attempt really isn't worth much :(

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. BosonMichael

ANY running attempt is worth it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you're out there running and other people aren't, you're accomplishing something others aren't aspiring to. Keep it up. You are only competing against yourself. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

This is true - I'm slightly impatient about my progress but as my girlfriend said last night: "before you couldn't run to the bottom of the road, now you're around the corner, up the next street etc." - so I must be doing something right!

7. BosonMichael

Getting out the door to go run is doing something right! :thumbleft Keep it up!!!

8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Agreed.

derkit, your posts have on more than one occasion been enough to make me go out for a run. Keep up the good work and give yourself a pat on the back! :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks!
    I've had a pretty rubbish last couple of weeks, job, life and running so have let it slip by the wheyside.

Additionally, I had a pnuemonia about 4/5 years ago, ended up being hospitalised for a week, which while I'm virtually back to normal, the only time I find it affects me is when I do strenuous exercise in the cold air - and with the air being particularly fresh over the past week or so when I go running (around 8pm ish), I've had to put it on hold whilst the last (hopefully) frosts of the year disappear.

I look forward to the coming week - warm whether, sunshine, can't wait to get out there again!

10. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Bristol 10k this weekend. I think I'm one of the only Bristolians on CF so I guess its just me running it. Hoping to knock out45-47 mins on the day.

Anyone else got a race coming up?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I might go for a Wii jog marathon :p

Last time I did anything organised was the Southampton half marathon way back in 1984 ! Got round in about 2 hrs 12 mins I seem to recall.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. skulkerboyo

Good time. A little faster than my first ever half. I find unless I book events like this (I'm the same with study and exams) I tend to let the training slip. I have a few interesting bits coming up this year

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hey good luck with that - I hope you manage to get that time :D

Have a 5k at the end of the month - should hopefully be quite easy as I have done a few 10k runs of late.

Wore some old running trainers the other week though - my left knee kind of twisted and then went really weird - it was like the muscle stayed twisted or something - I could only walk on my left foot at a certain angle. Any other and my leg totally gave in - looked like a right weirdo as it was more of a tickle than painful and made me laugh!

Had a couople of weeks rest and going out again tonight in different trainers - hopefully i'll be ok :)

14. skulkerboyo

Eek mine will need replacing soon. I way overpronate and they get very worn quickly

Cycling to london this year as well for action aid. Should be a nice day out

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yeh, I was quite pleased. Did a couple of 10Km races before and with a few friends we'd gotten a bit more serious about fitness etc. so had been training for a few months.

Used this for training which was pretty much the bible really - excellent book as it caters from complete novice through to elite runners with training plans, diet and injury advice too - highly recommended !

16. skulkerboyo

I've had a look at that book. There are a few runners where I work and we share literature and news about fun races in the area.

I've always wanted to try fell running to combine my love of running with my love of craggy mountainous places so I've got this book feet in clouds

Not sure when I'll get to read it though. I'm mid 291 studies and works gone a bit mental

17. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Did you ever see The Munro Show hosted by Muriel Gray ? I seem to remember her encountering some daft idiots running up them too :p

I really need to get back in shape .......:cry:

18. skulkerboyo

I am a bit concerned the book will inspire what I perceive to be lemming like tendencies:twisted:

19. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Ouch. You need your trainers or knees replaced?? Do you not find that cycling makes the problem worse? I guess the load on your knee is totally different when you run compared to when you cycle...

20. skulkerboyo

Trainers replaced lol

Knees always complain after a long cycle though. Its gotten better since I started supplementing with glucosamine on the advice of some colleagues