Ping Runners

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I haven't been checking the forums for ages due to everything - so hi! everyone - but I have managed to be running more off than on, but seeing this thread was revitilised I've been running for about 1.5 weeks now and have seen the pounds fall off!

Also, I don't have red boots! :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Well done you!!

You're not missing out not having red boots :p Boots would be impratical to run in anyway. Ever tried running away from a bee when you have your gardening boots on in the garden eh? They usually stay behind - sucked into the soil! :p

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Had a few good nights just recently, I'm in no way up to the standards of many others on here, but I'm feeling good about my efforts!

Tues - 1.4miles in 15mins
    Wed - 1.6miles in 16mins
    Thurs - 1.8miles in about 17/18 mins
    Fri - decided not to run.

So about 5 miles over the last few nights, pretty chuffed with that one :)
    Each day was a different course, some straight forward, others up and down hills.

Found this site though http://www.walkjogrun.co.uk/ and it can keep a list of routes you run, so can can always remember/discover how far you ran.

4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Well done. Cheers for the link!!

Done another 2x 5.5 miles since last post on this thread! :D

5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

LOL - that makes my 1.5 mile seem pants - well, actually it is pants!!

I'd love to put in those miles, but I can't seem to make it - did you build up to that level over a period of time? If so, how long? etc.

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

....It's just pure natural talent :p (probably is a tad to do with genetics though)

No specific schedule - Just try a little harder with every run - when you get to that shattered stage (not the ten minute one...but the second one that seems to happen - with me it's usually at about 35 minutes)...see if you can stand to push through through it (obviously with in reason - you don't want to collapse or be sick) ..doing that seems to vastly improve things!

...failing that, try a normal run followed by an extra 10 minutes of Fartlek training!!

7. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Nice one Derkit (sorry not posted for a while. Initially p oed with a forum member then just got busy)

I was stuck at not being able to run more than a couple of miles for ages. I intentionally increased the mileage pretty much because I had to but it was still a major sticking point for a while.

the same thing happened again trying to get my mileage above 6 and again at ten. I think its largely psychological. Nowadays 10 miles just seems like a run. Yes this really does happen. My partner was the same

Maybe try for one longer run this week instead of lots of little ones. Dont try to do too far though. Maybe aim for 3 miles but make sure you have a couple days rest before. They tell you not increase by more than 10% a week to avoid injury

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that advice - I've been a bit busy to run over the last couple of days, so I suppose I could make an extra long one next time round - hopefully tomorrow night.
    Will report back 8)

9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

10k run today! :D

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can see the results in your new av. Body toned like steel. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol! :D Looks good doesn't it? :D The only downside is that when running I have to carry wd40 around in my sports bottle to ease up my joints - dang!

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, I would have bet money that no one else here would have even heard of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis", let alone seen it. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

(Cough) - I even have a copy of that movie....

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hush now! :oops:

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Knocked out 3 miles since I had a relatively unbusy night - first run in almost 3 months. 31:09 run time. According to my wrist GPS, I burned through 500 calories.

Trying to eat smaller meals throughout the day instead of big meals twice a day... keeps myself from snacking. I'd love to delete about 25 pounds or so... currently hovering at a well-disguised 213 lbs (a pebble over 15 stone to you Brits).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I have! I'm dying to see the 'lost' footage that was recently discovered. It's the most complete version yet apparently, although some footage will be forever lost as it was destroyed.

I own three versions of Metropolis. The watered down US theatre release. One with a different soundtrack and a directors cut (not the new one with the museum footage though).

It's incredibly ahead of it's time, hard to believe this was made in the 1920's for how forward thinking it is. I also have Lang's masterpiece 'M' too, another classic!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  17. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hope this is useful. I usually make my own playlists for running but recently have started using Podrunner for musical inspiration for my workouts.

They have a great section called First Day To 5k which is a series of podcasts (essentially DJ mixes) created to help you from week one up to your first 5k and beyond. Pretty good stuff especially for the runner that has no interest in creating a playlist or wants to try something new.

SIDE NOTE

A good friend of mine is doing an amazing run for charity across the Sahara Desert in a few days time, have a look at the article on my blog here and maybe chuck her a few quid! :)

BLOG ARTICLE

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  18. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Agreed!

19. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Went for another almost 10k run on Sunday first thing. Real let down though - couldn't run the whole way, as think I was still recovering from Friday :(

Ah well, have left it a couple of days and give it that extra umph next time! 8)

20. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Go you! That's excellent! :D