Ping Runners

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Grrrr!!!!!! I never managed it - life got in the way, and I've been kicking myself - never got to it tonight :( :x

My lungs aren't too bad now - even though I've only got 1.5 lungs properly working I still seem to have a better lung function value than most others I know! :p

I'd agree - keeping it friendly on this forum, is enough encouragement and motivation for me - as I said, its made me kick myself for not sorting the rest of my life out quicker! :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Sounds nice. Good distance too!
    I can't run without MP3 - it's amazing how much better you can work out if you're listening to some motivating tunes...saying that though, it's an experience if you're out really early and it's just you and the dawn chorus!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Ah well - at least you have it in your head that you need to go.

Lol - yes, I bet they are!

Precisely!...off you go then! :cracking :twisted:

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There you go, talking about Dawn again... :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:shocked aaaa..... :p:p:p:p:p:p!!!!!

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Was going to go this morning but it is pouring it down over here.

Have however taken up Saturday yoga lessons to increase strength and flexibility to assist with the running. First one was yesterday. Thought that the movements would be difficult, but found it hardest to concentrate on keeping a straight face :D with all the strange poses and loud breathing!
    For relaxation at the end we were asked to close our eyes and vision a rainbow around us that we made with imaginary lotus flowers :eek:

I think that my rainbow blew away along with copious amounts of ground fabric yesterday when my husband and I landscaped the front garden and shifted, between us, a tonne of aggregates in the wind and rain :rolleyes:

Hopefully there will be another running update here soon!

7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Had a bit of time off from running until last week. Just started heading out every other day again.

Current startegy is one day run, day off, run, day off, run etc. I mix up the days off so they are either rest days or I go to the gym.

It's hard work running here due obviously to the climate. I usually wake up at 6am and head out for a run up the beach or up the point of the island. If I find the alarm just hasn't woken me up I will head out when I get home from work. Usually after a liberal splash of mosquito spray!

When I get back in the mornings I just shower and head out to work. If it's the evening i'll run down the back yard and jump in to the pool to cool off, maybe throw in a couple of laps if I've any stamina left!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Oh and someone mentioned a good running book earlier.

I got a great one called 'Beginning Running' by Amby Burfoot. It's by the folks at Runner's World.

Very good book and an excellent intro to running.

9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Wow...just....go away would ya?! :dry :p

Seriously though, well done for getting back into the routine - sure sounds like it is a lot more motivating (bar the mosquitos) where you live though.

Please keep posting your progress on here (if you can be bothered) - your posts will certainly be a good read! :thumbleft

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...Cool. I got "The Runners World Complete Book of Running" which looks to be in the same series - very good read...there's just the issue of actually putting into practice the stuff mentioned in there!

11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Haha sorry didn't mean it to sound braggish, just a description of my current routine. It's a pretty nice route though, moreso at sunset than first thing in the morning. Running at any other time of day (i.e. any time the sun is out) is just a suicide mission. It's hard enough on the lungs as it is wihtout coming back from a run audibly crackling from the sun beating down on you the whole time.

The mozzies are annoying though. I ran out of Steve Davis Pot Black to scare them off so it's back to the Chenobyl grade 'Deep Woods' Off! spray for now.

That book I got is pretty good though more of a moral booster book than anything with some really beefy technique in it. Still a worthy purchase though and an A* guide to running and keeping it up.

Yesterday evening my run went a lot better. I'm only a few in but it's getting easier. I'm mainly trying to increase my stamina now as well as lung expansion. The lung thing is a doozy. :eek:

12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like your route must be stunning. Must be great when you do it early in the morning. Do you get mozzies then too?

It's amazing how quickly you adjust to it...it's just the getting back into it that's hard - esp for us lot over in t' UK. The last couple of weeks have brought us dark, cloudy mornings...or fog...or rain...(well they have in my area anyhew).

Good luck with it all :)

13. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Yep, here too.

I knackered my back moving some boxes yesterday so I don't think I will be running till at least the weekend. I may take my phone with me so I can post a few photos of the scenery on my running route.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I did a little googling to see if I could find a few pictures of my route. Here's all I could come up with:

[​IMG]

Above: I run along the road behind that image of the housing.

[​IMG]

Above: Typical sunsets most evenings (hurricane permitting!) along my route. It changes every night though. Some nights the sky is a breathtaking yet very alien looking mix of purple, indigo and violet colours with a red hue.

I prefer to run in the early mornings when the sun is still down. It's still humid but not as bad as when the sun first makes an appearance. Brings tears to the eyes thinking about it!

The mozzies are not that bad in the mornings, only really if you go out immediately after it's been raining. In the evenings they are worst around 15 minutes after sunset.

I agree, it is amazing how quickly you adjust. I'm finding it easier with each run. Hopefully I won't hit a wall!

15. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Good idea! I may well do the same when I can run a couple of miles without my lungs making an appearance like a facehugger coming out of my mouth!!

16. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:shocked That's beautiful!

17. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hope not to turn this thread too far upside down, but just for you Leehaa, I found a couple of pics from my camera on my laptop here.

The first is one of the sunsets at my pool. It's a bit dark mind you but it sort of shows a little of my running route up the coastline.

Second photo is the beach run I do sometimes. It changes to the road run I usually do which you can see in the background.

Both I guess give an idea of some of the sunsets and what not. :)

Attached Files:

18. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

awesome scenery / view you have there. I knocked out 5 miles around the Thames in London yesterday and had a pleasant haze of misty drizzle to contend with....ahhh London :)

Not to keen on those mozzies you mentioned though. Maybe you should run in a mosiquto net???

Jiggy.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  19. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

[​IMG]

I think i'll stick with the pain and itching of a stack of mozzie bites! :biggrin

20. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

You're so lucky. No no...thread's not turned upside down - the photos can be incorporated - could use the them as images to look at during meditation if my yoga (to back-up the running) ever gets serious lol! :p

You have no excuses now though - mozzie repellant and early mornings and you should be going regularly!! :)