Ping Runners

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Are you mad? Actually, that sounds good fun! :-D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Just attempted 10k but it was waaaay too hot (even with a drink bottle)

More like a 5k with an extra 5k of fartlek training. Still. Better than nowt...

Euuugh though - can't stop sweating. it's like someone poured water over my face!!

3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

That's still better than not doing it. We will have to keep this post (or the other fitness one) up at the top to keep you inspired then :D

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My belly is quite enough of a visible inspiration for me! Hah! :D

That said, I will continue to report my progress. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Well i must be mad. Just been out for my first run in years. Ive only done a mile (measured by GPS). It took me 7m 51s. Im gonna start incorporating it in my training, but im starting off easy as i dont want it to impact my cycling work.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Looks like the threads doing its job:cheers

Good pace raffaz. Reckon you should all find alocal 10k race and sign up. Nothing motivates better than a deadline (except maybe money)

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  7. BosonMichael

Wow! Beats the heck out of my current per-mile time! :) Maybe it's cause I'm going for distance... not sure, because I haven't run only one mile in years.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Raffaz

I used to do the great north run every year, but havent done it since 2002!!

Yeah, i reckon i wouldnt keep that pace for 3 miles, i used to run long distance for the county when i was at school like so i reckon my times will improve a lot once i get going. :)

9. BosonMichael

Stay on it! :)

10. Raffaz

I will providing it doesnt interfere with the cycling.
    I also get shin splints now and again so need to take it easy, im hoping this wont be an issue now that ive lost a few stone.
    Has anyone got any tips for preventative measures for shinsplints?

Mick

11. BosonMichael

- running shoes with good shock absorption capabilities (they'll last you approx 500 miles)
    - running shoes that best match your foot profile (overpronation, underpronation) - get fitted at a running shoe specialty store, if possible!
    - lightly stretch before and after your run - do NOT bounce your stretch!
    - avoid running on hard surfaces
    - avoid running on uneven terrain
    - avoid slapping your feet on the ground, particularly when going downhill - roll your feet!
    - avoid the "forward lean" - run with your body relatively vertical, looking straight ahead, not at the ground or at your feet. Someone once told me to visualize yourself running well - using good form - and you're more likely to do so.

Hope this helps. :)

12. Raffaz

Cheers for the advice, but i already follow all of the above, and ive got a brand new pair of new balance trainers fitted at my local running shop.
    I think it could have possibly been caused by carrying the extra weight around so hopefully that wont be an issue now. :)

13. BosonMichael

Well, that's just about everything I learned while running in the Army. I knew that info would come in handy sometime! hah! :D

Hopefully I'll also go a little faster after shedding about 15 pounds (what is that, about a stone for you guys? ;) )

14. Raffaz

1 stone 1lb.
    Ive heard that stretching the shin muscles after a run can help and also icing the shins down aswell, can anyone confirm this?

15. skulkerboyo

Pretty much what BM said. Shin splints constantly haunt me. I stretch my calves 3 times a day trying to focus the stretch on the middle of the calf.

I also use the cross trainer on recovery days as it works other muscles used in running that may be weaker. Since doing this shin splints have all but gone.

Wrap the area before a run. Nothing intense. Just a pressure bandage

Ice after a run or a cold bath if you're brave enough

To hell with websites that claim to have a cure for them. Its nonsense. These are usually run by people that confuse shin splints with a sore muscle at the front of a shin

Do you get any other pain when running or after. My soleus was weak which actually led to th eproblem in the first place. Physio identified this

There are exercises you can do with a towel wrapped around your foot. These are simply to provide resistance so you can exercise the smaller muscles. You can achieve a similar thing by simply rotatin g your feet and focusing on the muscles used.

Trainers Trainers Trainers. Get proper ones fitted. Have your gait analysed and get an appointment for a physio. Even if its only one session so they can give you some stretches

Warm up properly. I start by walking a quarter mile briskly. Building to a jog then starting the timer once I have reached full speed. On race days I 'll jog to the start if possible

losing weight has helped alot as well. 15st men arent supposed to be quick so become a 13 stone man

There are support forums on runners sites http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=2406

Had a terrible run last night. Managed just over 3 miles then stopped to heave. Continued to the end but felt awful. I had a pretty heavy weekend so wont be doing that again

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  16. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:eek: Awww! Well done with continuing to the end after that...

17. BosonMichael

I'm planning on running this Thursday.

18. skulkerboyo

I'm thinking I may have to move my regular run from monday to another day as I've started doing long distance cycles on sat morning (100 mile race for charity coming up) and dont think I've really recovered enough for monday

let us know how you get on BM

19. Raffaz

Sounds like a good plan, maybe Tue or Wed?

20. BosonMichael

Dude! You've cursed me! :ohmy Never before have I heaved after running... but I did today! 3 miles, pushed myself hard at the end... perhaps too hard, because no more than 10 seconds after I stopped, I lost the water I had consumed during the run. I didn't feel bad... but my body didn't like the change from run to walk.

Still, the run was done - and a time of 30:41 to boot!