Ping Runners

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Anyone into running?

If so, do you have specific training schedules...do you compete or just do it for fun....are you a member of any clubs / won any awards?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Very much into running. i do it with my girlfriend and her sister

I'm a general fitness enthusiast

Just done the Bristol half I'm quite slow though as I'm close to 15st (bodybuilder not pie eater,36 inch waist). I do it for fun. I enter a few races a year mostly the mad ones like the sodbury slog. I'll be doing toughguy next year. You should check out the website. its a bit extreme though.

Having sorted my shin splints I got heel plantar fasciitis from too much hill work then i fell down the bloody stairs bruising my foot then i cut tendons in my hand. Couldnt train at all so did the Half the other week with one 6 mile run under my belt for training. I tend to injure quite easily mainly due to the pounding my legs take at my weight. I find road running more damaging than off road so I'm heading down the fell running route.

I'll be back in the gym for weights this week as the physio has given me the all clear to go very light. So I'll focus on getting my conditioning back then get back on the running around Christmas.

I used to subscribe to runners world. They also have a great website for tips. I used to train using my heart rate monitor and doing intervals. These days I have a garmin forerunner. Its a gps sports thingy. Tells you you speed, avg pace, pace. Has alrms for when your outside of speed or pace zones that you set for yourself plus a hundred other cool training programs. Vey useful. Its in my top 5 indispensible items. Good for walking and navigation too. Its helped me shave loads of time off my runs plus it has a virtual partner function so you can compete against the watch over a set time and distance or against stored data of one of your previous runs. You get to race yourself properly. It takes all the guess work out

I do regular long distance mountain hikes as well. done the Black mountains roundabout, Three peaks and doing the Talybont Trial in a couple of weeks. I find the hiking helps me with recovery from running injurys as well.

Never won an award other than regional orienteering champ for my school when I was 16. Got oodles of medals though for doing stuff. I want to get so many i can pretend i'm MR T

Just an enthusiast.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Ah. Not a thread about some quasi-amateur DoS attack then :biggrin

Would be interested in this thread, especially in "running for beginners" as I have poor cardio-vascular...ness and am looking to improve gently.

Currently I "speed walk" (6km/hr) on a 2 mile circuit in my local area, which is built-up suburban. I haven't hunted down any parks suitable that aren't covered in dog crud or coveted by hoodies. The route involves very mild inclines, nothing to intense at all. I do this every evening, and recently incorporated a light jog over the last 300 metres or so.

So I'm just an unhealthy sot who has finally realised 9 pints of lager on a Saturday night isn't good for her :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Used to run for fun back in the 80's - did the Southampton Half Marathon (in about 2 hrs 12 I think) but was never very "serious".

Used to work with a woman who's husband was a member of a local AC so he used to drag me out for some training.

I seem to remember this (now updated version) :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Competitive-Runners-Handbook-Bob-Glover/dp/0140469907

was the "bible". Don't be put off by the title; it has some excellent traing plans for complete beginners doing as little as 5km runs and also has advice of diet and injuries.

Worth grabbing from the library if you don't want to buy it.

Why am I not running now ? Well, some serious weight to lose first but then I'll be back pounding the streets (good thinking time).

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Think i'll have a lay down!!

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Yes, I know - I'm immature at times. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Have you ever tried Fartlek training (almost what you are doing now in a way)? That's a really good way to build stamina up!

8. skulkerboyo

I so walked into that one:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I thought you were a bike rider which, would seem to me, would be a good cardio exercise.

Walking is a really good way to exercise. Before realizing that I had to step it up a bit, I walked an hour a day 4 to 5 days a week.

I've tried running but it takes forever for my heart rate to get back anywhere near normal (I'm talking hours) and that makes me nervous. I prefer the cardio machines at the gym where I have more control over intensity and duration.

That said, I was an avid runner in the 1980s and shed pounds like a duck sheds water. Of course, I was also in my late 20s and early 30s, so that made a difference, I'm sure.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm honestly not sure on the biology side of it, but riding doesn't seem to take "that much" out of me, cardio-wise. It's all in the legs... I can cycle for miles on end without too much burn.

But when I was born I had underdeveloped... everything. I developed double pneumonia when I was around 2, and suffered bronchial asthma for years. As a result, I could never participate much in sports when I was young, much to my distaste as I *love* sports.

I grew out of the asthma by around 15. I have always managed to participate somehow - mainly by being the traditionally more lethargic positions in sports - goalkeeper (hockey, football) goal shooter (netball) discus, shotput and javelin in athletics... slowly building up my cardio strength seems like the impossible dream. I would love to be able to just jog for miles. But I normally pull up within a couple of hundred metres, a panting, aching, disastrous wreck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

The book I mentioned would probably help a lot as it has training plans to help you build up. Also it is VERY important to warm up and cool down properly or you can easily develop injuries/problems, even for the most casual of joggers.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I run a couple of times a week. Normally a 4 or 5 mile route. I don't do it to win any races, just to keep me fit. I really enjoy an early morning run when the air is still and cool and the sun is just on its way up.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Nooo all of the time :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I wonder if he does it with them separately or at the same time... :hhhmmm Perhaps they don't know he does it with them both... :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've had "good intentions" of running in Nashville's marathon for several years, but have always fallen off the training schedule. More years ago than I'd care to admit, I got up to 17 miles at a stretch, but I developed soreness in one of my knees - in the tendon beside one of them, actually... and missed out that year.

In any case, if you're interested, the key is to set yourself a schedule, and stick to it. If you miss a day, don't kick yourself, or fall into the bad habit of missing two, then three, then four days... pick your schedule back up where you left off and keep going.

I really ought to start running again... it's been about 3 months, what with all the trip preparations I've been doing. Just need to wake up earlier two or three times a week and DO it. If I can get back on track, I just might be able to make the next marathon in April. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  18. Qs

*sigh*

Go get a CCNA then you can mock.

Anyway - we're taking this slightly off topic :p I apologise for wizard's behaviour.

19. skulkerboyo

Here me sweating like a trooper at the Bristol Half this year

Attached Files:

20. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Ditto! You have a decent excuse though Michael.
    I Was running 5 miles maybe two or three times a week until we moved house back in Feb (although I only managed it for a few weeks back then too...it's probably been over a year since I was really serious and participated in any events - bar the race for life)...since then it has been really intermittent...like really intermittent.
    Was hoping to get some motivation from this thread...plan to get back into it tomorrow -get up and go at the crack of dawn - that way if I'm knackered, I get the rest of the day to sleep it off! :p