Ping Leehaa

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mitzs, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Cheers for the advice - yeah, the same one had issues with swimbladder too. I reduced the food a few months back, and it seemed fine until now.

He seems to be a bit better now this first aid treatment is in the tank - the swelling has totally gone, but his scales look really nasty and raised around the affected area....I do believe it to be the first stages of "dropsy"..that are now clearing / reversing, as he's started to pick up a bit (swimming around - more alert)

The first aid was something that "reef one" do - treats fungal infections via filter and powder remedy.

None of the other fish seem affected at all - it's really weird. I'm treating them all though as it may just be that they were less advanced with the infection......

Just switched to a different goldfish food 2 weeks back - i'm certain that that was the cause!!!:dry gonna switch back to everything they were used to once treated!!

Wow with the shubunkin - sounds like he's been looked after well!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...Apparently i'm "borderline" - they said I came accross as too shy, but didn't want to rule me out as I seemed to know my stuff....we'll see what happens...thanks for asking!!

3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

what did i say...personality is key :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

can't they get it through chemical imbalance in the water ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Cheers! :dry

6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

my interviews always seem to turn into casual chats, that way it doesn't seem like I'm being interrogated :)

grim

7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Then you are a very lucky man! I am quite shy by nature when it comes to conversing - only flows freely when I have gotten to know someone, or am actually getting on with my job :oops:

8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i can sympathise i used to be quite shy but i think it just boils down to how confident your are with your own ability. i end up getting carried away talking technical b*ll*x and it seems to show i know what I'm talking about lol

grim

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Shyness can absolutely rule you out of a job. Shyness or nervousness can translate into a lack of confidence in your own decisions... and a good administrator has to be confident that they can tackle any problem that comes up (and problems WILL come up that you will have absolutely NO idea how to fix). The best thing you can do is work on your shyness, try to relax during interviews, and be confident in your answers. Don't worry about if you're wrong... focus only on answering the best you can answer. If the job is meant to be... it'll happen.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Job interviews are a pain in the arse, usually for both the interviewer and the interviewee. It's an artificial context for trying to assess a person's suitability for a particular job without actually having them demonstrate that they can do the job (that would take too long...especially if you've got 25 people in your interview queue).

I'm also shy by nature (believe it or not) and it's taken a lot of practice to "perform" socially. I can do quite well but afterwards, I have to go off somewhere to be alone and recharge my "social" batteries. One of the tricks is to try and anticipate what sort of questions the interviewer will ask. You have two or three sources of information you can draw from:

1. The Job Advert: Chances are they're going to ask how your qualifications and experience map to what they're asking for so it would be a good idea to have a close look at their requirements and imagine how you'd explain why you're a good candidate to fulfill them.

2. Your CV. That's right. They'll probably ask you to explain at least some of what you've written on your CV. I know it seems like you should know the thing like the back of your hand, but it's easy to write several versions of it (depending on the type of job you're applying for) and then forget what you've written (there are all kinds of ways to "tweak" your experience to emphasize one quality or another). Go over your CV with a fine toothed comb before the interview and try to imagine what sort of questions the interviewer might have based on the information present.

3. The company and what it produces. In my most recent interview (I start work tomorrow), they wanted to know how I'd work with a bunch of software engineers and what my experience was with documenting information on portable devices. I have tons of experience working with software engineers and leveraged my experiences working with them in answering questions. I have very limited experiences documenting information on portable devices (I did a few projects involving FlashCast, but that's about it) so had to claim the truth about the situation there. Still, it was helpful that I'd visited the company's site and at least knew what they were talking about.

Nothing is perfect and interviewers will always ask questions that you never imagined. The best rule of thumb is to be yourself and to be honest. After all, even if you can "fake it" in an interview, sooner or later (assuming you're hired), your true personality will be revealed on the job. You might as well let them see who you are (best foot forward, of course) in the interview so they can see if you're a good fit for their job including the corporate and social culture.

Despite the fact that they make me dress up for interviews and anxiety is part of the experience, as much as possible, try to relax. After all, they're human beings, too. I try to arrive a bit early (10 or 15 minutes) so that I'm not rushed and afraid I'll be late. Try to make a good impression on whoever is at the reception desk. Believe it or not, that person *will* be asked how you behaved when you first arrived.

I was left alone for a bit before the last interview I had and the windows of the room I was in faced the local mountains. I tried to relax and enjoy the scenary to keep myself calm. In interviews, I try to find some sort of connection with the interviewer. They are just as uncomfortable as you are, so if they let any of their personal comments into the conversation, it's often appropriate to respond to what they say politely.

Ask questions. Don't be aggressive, but you are interviewing them just as much as they're interviewing you. If you show you're actually interested in the company, the position, and their product, they're more likely to think of you as a strong candidate for the job and not a wind up toy that's been programmed to issue proper responses and nothing else. Remember, part of what's being assessed is how you'll "fit in", not just your technical abilities.

Get a business card and email the interviewer(s) afterwards, saying that you enjoyed talking with them (even if you didn't) and that you appreciate the opportunity to meet them. If you have any follow up questions (this is common, since in the interview, anxiety will sometimes cause you to miss all of the questions you had), ask them in the email.

A job interview is like a first date. It's an artificial environment. You want the person to see who you are, but in the best possible light. You sometimes pretend to be interested in things that normally you aren't and you're trying to find out if this "relationship" is going to develop into a second date. Both parties are trying to do this at the same time they're analyzing the other party. Unless the first date is either a total disaster or overwhelmingly boring, there will be enough dates for the two of you to determine if this is going to become a relationship or not.

That's the idea behind having a phone interview, a face-to-face interview and sometimes a second face-to-face interview...and then of course, there's being hired and being on "probation" or like me, being hired as a "contract-to-hire".

Interviews are a pain...but no more or less so than a first date. At least you don't have to buy dinner or worry about whether or not anyone is going to try and kiss you. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. BosonMichael

...and there's no pressure to sleep with them after the third interview. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

3rd... you obviously havent been to kent :tune

grim

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

ROTFLMAO! Good one. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I had to explain my shyness in my first interview for the job I'm in now.

The question went mainly (something) like this... "You seem like a...nice, quiet person. How do you feel you will be able to deal with people as a supervisor*, as we do have a lot of strong personalities in the office?" (*which I was interviewing for)

My answer mainly went (something) like this... "My quiet and calm attitude can often be misinterpreted as shyness; whilst this may appear to be negative, when dealing with clients in a stressful situation, it has worked wonders for me. Strength of personality is not often truly reflected in the strength of your voice. If I ask someone to do something, and my decision is justified, then by and large... they do it."

I didn't get the job as supervisor straight away, as she wanted me to get my feet under the table in the department. But, at my six month review, true to form... supervisorness awaited.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. BosonMichael

Well, that's because you proved that you were correct in your self-assessment. ;) You proved yourself to be worthy of the responsibility. 8)

16. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Those specialty gold fish can be a real pain to take care of. They seem to be vulnerable to a lot of different issues. The regular gold fish though? It seems they can survive and prosper in just about anything. I've seen them in water so dirty you couldn't see the fish if it was a couple of inches away from the glass or the surface, and they lived and grew large in that environment. A specialty gold fish would have been dead in less than a week.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  17. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

WOW - points to be awarded to you for sharing that

18. ffreeloader

I have to agree with Leeha that this was a very good post. I just have one question, Trip. Just how do they make you dress up? :twisted:

19. BosonMichael

And do you get to choose how you dress up?

:king:clown:cowboy:frman:ymca:flower:batman:sexie

20. ffreeloader

Ummm.... Do you really think you could find someone that could "make" a stubborn old cuss like me who's set in their ways "dress up"? :twisted: :biggrin:biggrin