Ping GBL... how is the Net+ study going?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by GiddyG, Jun 11, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

my Salary in my current job is I usually get a 3% payrise every Year, but I have had 3 3% payrises this year. Eventually in IT I would earn more but I would have to drop around 6k for starting which is a lot of money in anyones book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

True.

Get the MCSE and you can earn £80k though!

.....sorry, I had a "training provider salesman" moment there! :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

you forgot to mention the jag and armarni suit. And all that from being a streetsweeper like in that advert :p

4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Haha!

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. greenbrucelee

I knew it would happen.

Received a letter this morning saying: The interim position is no longer needed from the end of next week (when I have all the jobs they can't be arsed doing out of the way). Unfortunately there are no permanent positions we can offer you, thank for your hard work and good luck in the future.

Nice eh.

6. greenbrucelee

I'm seriously beggining to think whats the point.

7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that mate. You sort of knew that was going to happen, but its no less frustrating when you get the news in writing. So its back to your normal job and hitting the Network+ book. I would setup an email alert on CWJobs and Reed, keep looking for a permanent IT job. One will turn up, took me about 6 months to get my first proper IT job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. greenbrucelee

I have a couple of email alerts set up what worries me though is I keep getting payrises and the drop I will have to make to get into my first IT job is getting bigger and bigger. If I get my first IT job paying about 14k thats a 6k paydrop already.

Its a lot if money to drop.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They'll figure out what they've lost when you're gone.

Don't worry about the drop. Worry about whether the IT job will meet your current standard of living. Don't increase that standard of living when you get a payrise, and the drop won't affect you any differently than had you not gotten the payrise... and you'll have a bit in savings to show from it!

Dude... my little brother is a manager of a drugstore. He's been miserable working there for 18 years. He's wanted out several times... but the "pay drop" has always kept him enslaved where he is. And every time he gets a pay raise, he moves farther and farther from that entry-level salary.

So... 18 years later, he's making in the mid $40Ks... unhappy, and his salary is just about maxed out for the position. He'd likely have to drop to the mid-20s to get his start in IT. However, if he ever DID decide to do it, he'd surpass his current salary after getting a bit of experience.

So... he either switches, taking a pay cut for the chance at a brighter future... or he continues to slave away at his current job, getting cost-of-living increases, if that... and staying unhappy doing a job he doesn't want to do. He's got a job... but no career.

10 years from now, you could be in the same situation my brother is in.

Is it worth it to switch? You bet your butt it is.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. greenbrucelee

I see your point, I'll just keep plugging away until something comes up.

It just annoys me that they made me feel it would become permanent and all they really wanted is someone to do the jobs they had fallen behind on or couldn't be bothered with.

I also still think the IT director holds it against me when I corrected him about the firewall incident.

11. BosonMichael

None of that will matter when you're in your first real IT job. :) It'll all be in the past!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. greenbrucelee

I am having a meeting with the IT director today, I have a feeling he is gonna say they havent kept me on because I do not have a degree or high end cert like the MCSE. I am going to put him straight on a few things :)

13. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Try not to pre-empt things mate.

See what he has to say first. Even if they don't keep you on in that capacity, you can tell him you thoroughly enjoyed the experience, working with things you are learning about as part of your ongoing studies, working as part of the team, and you would definitely like the opportuntiy to do so again.

Remember that you can put this down as experience, and who knows? You may well ask him to back that up with a reference.

14. greenbrucelee

I will wait untill I see what he says, but the guy has never liked me anyway since he had a go at me about a firewall being switched off. He got mad with me when I pointed out to him that the particular PC was a stand alone machine and not on the network or connected to the internet.

This was 3 years ago.

I am seeing him at 4pm I'll let you know how it went later today.

15. greenbrucelee

Had the meeting with the IT director, he said he had been impressed with my work and if a position comes up in the future I will definetly be considered.

He was also impressed that I was self studying for my certs instead of going through some rip off joint that tells people lies.

He said if any server work comes up and if there is time he will gladly give me experience along side the other techs in the team.

And that was about it, so hopefully in the future something will come along.

16. BosonMichael

...like another job. ;)

17. greenbrucelee

yep :)

18. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Thats good GBL. Those long hours must have been hard, but its a good finish. Who knows what might happen there in the next few months. The future is bright :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think your first impressions were right mate as they got you involved to work on some additional tasks that they didn’t have the resources or time for.

Another IT job sounds the way to go, if there is a suitable one going that is! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. greenbrucelee

I am hoping they hire another **** up and then they might ask me :)