Ping and Tracert Presentation

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mr.Cheeks, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I am going to do a presentation on the above to my fellow IT techs within my team, and have to make it into a "dummies guide", as i dont really want <plonker user> to feel left out aswell, as this help those who are uncertain about what the commands are.

I will basically break down what

• Ping is
    • Tracert is
    • What replies are, when pinging
    • What Hops are within Tracert
    • WINS - hows IP address and Domain names work

The audience are 1st Line, i know a few would know what i am referring to, and we have some new members within the team, and hope that they know what i will be referring to...

Can anyone think if anything else that i may add, without going to complex relating to ping and tracert.

It will be done over a powerpoint presentation (notes) and myself explaining what each item is, and the presentation should last around 30-45 mins (without the q&a session at the end).

I could talk slowly, but i get rather nervous when talking to a group, and when i do get nervous, i tend to talk really fast...

Any tips?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you supporting some old kit mate? Just wonder why WINS is on the list. DNS is generally used with WINS used for older operating systems (NT etc.)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Thats the bugger! I knew WINS were one of them, but couldn't remember ghe other one Cheers Sparky! I'll be changing that to DNS...

Any other tips anyone could help me with?
    Anyone? SHould be uploaded the ppt next week for a review of what you chaps think....

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Shouldn't you really be doubling the amount of time the presentation takes with <plonker user> in attendance? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Sparky

Hmmm :hhhmmm

It might be worth listing what situations you would use the command line functions with. For example if a user cant get on the tinternet try pinging www.google.co.uk , if there is no response for google try pinging the IP address. If the IP address works then it may be a DNS issue.

Edit: I would also add nslookup and ipconfig

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Considering you've got at least one <plonker>, you might have to explain what the heck an IP address is. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

OSI model? Might be usefull for troubleshooting for the techs to have a basic understanding of the OSI model.

How about self help options such as Technet?

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

As Bluerinse mentioned, it may be better to give a grounding in TCP/IP troubleshooting altogether. This KB Article from Microsoft outline the steps for troubleshooting TCP/IP which includes using Ping and Tracert (I think they have it down as PathPing which is redundant).

It would be more beneficial if they knew the whole process of troubleshooting TCP/IP and the associated problems rather than just knowing how to use a couple of the tools.

HTH 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

For the XP exam one also needs to know something about IP, but there is not that much info in the MOC. For this reason I give a IP-break-out lasting 2.5 to 3 hours.
    I start with a sketch of the complete IP list (just a square). I divide this in two equal parts. On a other portion of the board I write down the first 16 binairy numbers (0000 to 1111). I divide those to in two equal parts (0000 to 0111 and 1000 to 1111).
    They will see easy that the only difference between the two parts is the first bit. So I return to the sketch and point out that the first bit pins down the first half in a simple but efficient way. I then divide the remainder again in two equal parts and point out B-class. So on with C-class, D and E-class.
    I also keep reffering to the telephone network as a model (area code = network ID).
    In this way I slowly build up a decent base for the rest.
    In these few hours I give them a tour throu IP-land.
    Most students find it an eye opener.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Might be an idea to explain what the different type of command you can use in the Command prompt and why use them such as

What if you get a limited on no connectivity displayed on the system tray of the network icons??

Using the commands:

ipconfig/all

ipconfig/release
    ipconfig/renew

Ping

Also are you using a pinger and cat5e cabel to demonstrate how to test a port or going through a PC?

Maybe you should also explain about dummy IP address such as 169.??8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I wouldn't call 169 addresses "dummy" addresses as they are perfectly valid just a private address when no other address can be obtained.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup, APIPA is the magic acronym but it's 169.254.x.x 8)

14. Mr.Cheeks

will be looking in ipconfig command briefly

Will go into apipa breifly, and talk very briefly about DHCP

thats what im scared of!

Cheers for your suggestions so far...

15. Mr.Cheeks

basically the page with the picture is what i will show, and i will explain what each item is, the next page with the break-down should reiliterate what i just was on about... obviously, with more words...

What you guys reckon? :blink

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Looks good to me :)

You might want to explain why google.com is returning what appears to be a private IP 10.10.144.22

:rolleyes:

Source http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1918.html

17. Sparky

Looks good mate. 8)

Think your DNS is playing up though, good chance to show some more trouble shooting :biggrin

18. Mr.Cheeks

i changed the ip address myself, and also google.com...

19. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

looks good Cheek, basic information presented in a user friendly way. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+
  20. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

looks fine to me.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP