Physical or Virtual and which OS?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by paulwatson5, Jan 30, 2011.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Right, 2 questions for all you experts out there.
    I want to setup a home network and i am torn between a physical setup and a virtual setup.

I love the idea of having a physical setup as i love the sight of a server room/lab.

I already have some (older) network gear that i could use like switches and patch panels etc, just need a few rackmount servers.

Also, i like the idea of having it all on one pc and running virtual servers.

So, what do you prefer?

I want 3 servers, a home file server maybe using freeNAS or something similar and i also want to look into having a web server and mail server as i have never set one of these up before.

Might add a hardware firewall at some point too using IPCop.

So, which OS would you use for 1) File Server 2) Web Server 3) Mail Server.

I have heard CentOS is good for web servers?

I really want a physical setup but as i cant afford the hardware at the minute, im going to use my old (AMD 64 3500, 2GB Ram) mahcine and install ESXi and run a few VM's from it.

Any suggestions, comments welcome.

Cheers

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have a virtual network for two reasons - I dont have any room for lots of hardware and virtualization technology is used by many businesses so having experience in things like vmware and virtual pc is a good thing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Why not have a combo of both? I have a physical DC, ISA and also a hyper-v server running various virtual servers.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Yeah, im also hoping that learning this sort of stuff will help when im going for an IT job (along with the MCDST that im starting this week)

I think im going to go the virtual route first until i get a nice steady setup, then deploy it onto physical servers so i have a bit of experience using both.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +