Photoshop, or the GIMP?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by OceanPacific, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I'm sure some rich kids did but i take your point :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Hello everyone
    surely a pro photographer shouldnt need photoshop, This word pro needs to be dropped and if your using 35mm format jpegs fine photographers use raw to correct mistakes in shooting. eg exsposure temp.Most pros i know shoot med format film or tran and scan to size needed much better colours and much better skin tones no matter what profile you use. A good living can be made from learning photoshop and sorting out file for photographers who just dont have the time or know how to do it thereself and most photographers dont.
    still photoshops the one for me.

Cannon or Nikon theres another topic

WIP: C++ and A+
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

can i just add that my old PinHole camera takes very nice black and white pics no fancy smancy tech needed there. And if i need to touch up or adjust any of the pics i don't need no posh expensive software, a black felt tip and some tipes works wonders!

Now wheres that Sarcasm emote???

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Trouble with pin hole cameras is you can never find a lens cap small enough to fit

5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I use a small amount of blutack... However i have been told professionals use chewing gum!

6. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Damn good tip bluetack that is wouldnt waste tasty chewing gum, well mabe after three days use.

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

The thing with gum is, it gives you something to chew while the picture develops.... BluTack just leaves a nsaty mess, especially if it gets to warm!

And the particular brand of gum can make a difference. Some are tastier and chewier than others.

Also, the quality of the box used to make the PinHole camera has a great effect on teh resolution of the picture. Cheapo tissue paper boxes are too delicate and let in too much light, while a good quality solid dual walled cardboard box, gives better resolutions but is heavier and bulkier to carry, not too convienient for those on teh go pictures!

And don't get me started on the paper used! Don't use a canvass or embossed paper as it gives a grainy print, while high gloss just leaves a faded image......

Us Professionals prefer a good quality 120gsm white natural paper containing as lower bleach count as possible. This gives crisp pictures but also works well with teh tipex touch up application.

8. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

not forgetting acid free so it can last forever and ever or at least 75 years. hang on a min how you getting an injet printer in your pinhole camera.

do you think were getting a bit of topic

9. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Very,lol.

Anyway, ill come in and make my closing statments.

As far as PS or GIMP, I like them both, and I use them both. I use PS cs2 at home, because thats where I have it, at home. At work, I use the GIMP because its free and my company saves money that way. :)

As far as cameras, I plan to eventually buy a Nikon DSLR (ive never cared for canon much), but for the time being, what I have will have to suffice.

In all honesty I think the camera is only as powerful as the person using it; you can have a Canon 5D MarkII and still take god awful pictures, and yet some of the most beautiful work ive ever seen were taken with plastic Holga cameras. :D

As long as your having fun and your doing what you love, I think thats all that matters.

WIP: N+, A+
  10. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

I found I spent most of time scratching my head with Gimp. How can I do? this were that tool & I don't see marching ants!

I used Photoshop from PS2 at college in 95 and found every easy to use.
    Gimp plus side is it free I never use as as a pro would know how good it is from droping file from gimp into a print/page layout software: Indesign or Quark

11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This weekend I decided to play in Gimp a little since I now have a little digital camera. I just used the online Gimp help and figured out how to work with layers using dodge and burn, multiply and divide, soft and hard light, etc... to play with photos. I was trying to bring back over exposed areas and lighten under exposed areas and found that it actually works pretty well. It took me all of about 30 minutes to get the hang of it, and it's something I'd never looked at before.

If you're having problems with Gimp, after this weekend I'd say use the online help and it will get you going pretty quickly.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

:ohmy

never cared much for cannon my poor mum would turn in her grave nikon is good but the best nikon would only reach the level of the 5d the 1ds mk1/2/3 are all better im going to settle down now and watch the footie "COM ON THE BLUES" opps sorry must oen a bottle of wine as well

13. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

After doing a bit of website stuff over the years, I used GIMP exclusively. I run from anything with the word "Adobe" on it -- that word is backwards for "trouble" :p

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE