Phone, T'Internet and TV

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Sep 19, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok people I am on a roll here :D

so what I would like to know is what services do u have in your house and with which company?

for example I have my telephone line with BT, my internet with Telewest and Sky TV. It may not be the cheapest but its the most efficient.

So how about the rest of you? Remember its phone, internet and TV not about the customer support or anything like that. Cheers chaps and chappettes :D :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good idea m8, but do you have some sort of aversion to posting in Connectivity, Telecommunications & the Internet ? :blink

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

:hahaha yeah I was going to but then I thought its more home stuff isnt it? but now u mention it yeah it should be in this deparment....thanks mate...:D

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Its hardly the most efficient setup noel, whatever the cost
    having contracts with three providors when one could do all three?

perhaps its the most useful combination, but hardly the most efficient :)

I have phone with BT (dont use it for calls, ADSL only) I use my Vodafone and O2 mobiles for calls (SkypeIn number when landline number is required), I use Zen for ADSL connectivity, and I dont have any fancy TV stuff, as I dont even have a TV at present (with the crap they show on the terrestrial channels why would I NEED one? lol)

Edit: actually I lie, both mobiles are currently on Vodafone, need to sort out switching one of them lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

good idea bout the mobile Phoenix....mine is with O2...costs me £20 a month line rental with 1000min free off peak min and 500 free texts...

and maybe one could do all 3 but you dont get all the services you want...if I had telewest for TV it would cost me for all the same channels I have now with Sky and the telephone with NTL or Telewest aint exactly what I would want either and as for the internet well Telewest wins hands down...

6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

BT Landline.Vodafone mobile.Wanadoo broadband.Sky TV-especially Sky Sports for me footie :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi, I have BT for my landline 02 for my moby and BT for my broadband and a bog standed TV had Sky but didnt use it so i cancelled it.
    Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  8. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

BT landline & ADSL, Orange mobile, and Sky+. Greatest gadget on the planet today.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  9. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

ntl b/band , sky + , which is absolutely awesome, homecall phone thru bt landline, and orange mobiles although im kinda getting done like a kipper with those contracts!!
    :p

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Phone - NTL, TV - NTL, Internet - NTL, Mobile - T-Mobile (U-Fix).

:)

11. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Phone - BT
    Mobile - Orange
    ADSL - Plusnet
    TV - Freeview (thought about sky but nothing really worth watching)

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  12. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Phone-BT
    Mobile-O2
    Adsl-Virgin(Like me)....
    Tv-Freeview(Why have 5 crap Ch when you can have more)..
    Kat:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

man all you sky using gits :)
    I live in a grade 2 listed building and installation of stuff onto the outer wall is forbidden by english heritage as it 'defaces the view' or some such shite they came out with, lol

best I can probably do is freeview or something, or some other digital system, but wont be doing it till I get my new plasma

man those americans have it easy, Dell US sell a 42" HDTV plasma for about 2000ush USD
    a similar device over here would cost over 2000 GBP (4000 USD) and Dell UK dont sell em anyway :/

14. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I have the telewest 3 for £30 deal, 512(ish) MB cable blueyonder broadband 40 TV channels including terrestrial ones, didn't get to choose which ones just the entry level package, pretty good TV package even though I don't watch too much of it. Phone is the same, part of the telewest package- free evening and weekend calls to any landline in the UK.

I like having cable internet, it's great not having any contention ratio, I get all the bandwidth I pay for any time of the day or night, none of this slowing down to a crawl at peak times when I'm paying for a certain amount of bandwidth.. 8)

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Phone = BT
    Tely = Freeview :biggrin
    Internet= Plusnet Premier
    Mobile = Orange

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Phone NTL

B/Band NTL

Telly NTL

Mobo Virgin but then again I never use it anyway

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well so far so good people...most of us using Sky (and those of us who like to show off went for Sky+ you lucky sods!!) but what am I talking about? I got my PC with a TV card inside it so if I wanted I could record programs to my PC hard drive except I dont have the option of setting the recorder for a specific program but hey it still has its uses....ok am starting another topic people...boy am feeling lucky here...:D

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Pete01, you seem misinformed about the technology behind cable internet access
    Cable is a shared bus technology, which is not only shared, its less secure than its xDSL counterpart
    DSL has a contention ratio because its shared to shave costs, not because its a limitation of the technology
    You can quite easily have a 1:1 contention on private DSL circuits if you wanted, its just expensive

saying that any provider worth its weight will have more than enough bandwidth to cover its users

I refur you to this snippet from wikipedia

Off Topic i know, but its the third time in as many weeks I have read someone mistout the 'advantages' of cable internet access

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Phone - BT
    Mobile - T-mobile
    ADSL - Tiscali (recently uncapped for free)
    TV - Freeview (I never watch it unless there's footie or F1 on)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay you asked :biggrin

Phone Tel$tra
    Phone Skype +Skype out
    Mobile Optus pay as you go
    TV Austar satellite plus the usual terrestrial rubbish
    ADSL Tel$tra BigPond (tied into a 2 year contract which I didn't want)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)