Phone Interview!!!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by calitriuk, Nov 20, 2007.

1. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

hi can any one give me some pointers on a telephone interview this will be my first role in It and I need this job!! it is for a Technical Support Servcies Consultant i sent them a cv and they had no desktop support but said this might be of interest to me seems like the same thing to me, the Hr girl said the team leader for that department is going to call me and interview me, he will ask technical questions so I am worried a little I can troubleshoot and do most things on computers and I have just started learning some A+ and N+ this is all in my Cv. So really my question is what questions do you think he will ask it is an internet company and i would be this first point of call for problems..i have 2 days to read up

job role
    troubleshoot users problems with very little knowledge, Adsl, dial up, e commerce hosting,email,web and ftp configuration,

thank you for any replys

WIP: mcdst
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

The most important thing to do is make sure you are in when he calls :D but seriously make sure you speak confidently and clear as your telephone manner will be very important if you are going to be supporting users over the phone. He will probably ask the usual interview questions: strengths, weakness examples of problem solving, team work etc. so try and prepare a few answers. As for the technical questions that could be on a wide range of things if you know it you know it it's hard to prepare for that but if you do not know just say do not try and blag it he will probably tell you are guessing just say you are not sure but as you continue with your studies (A+ N+) you will gain more knowledge. Good luck and do not worry look at it this way its all good practice and experience for your next interview (unless you get this job :p)

Certifications: A few.
  3. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

thanks

4. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I had a telephone interview some years back when I was a contract software developer. The reason it was by telephone was because the job location was some 550 miles away. One thing to watch out for is have the place where you will take the call ready and free of distraction. During my telephone interview I was sat at my computer desk in a bedroom by the window, and whilst I was answering a question the window cleaner came around, and the clanking of his ladders and sqidging of the window clean was pretty distracting. Be careful about anything like that which could arise at the time you arrange for them to call.

Otherwise, you must sound professional, and motivated for the job. All they care about is that you can do the job, so convince them of that. Be prepared for more than one person interviewing you ie. a conference type call, where they will have a loud-speaker phone, ie. you may have a group of people sitting round a table listening to you speak.

Good luck!

PS. I got the above job in spite of the distractions

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Speak confidently, but don't lie. If you don't know something, explain that you don't, but you can easily find the answer using Google. You can't possibly prepare for every technical question they can ask you; you'll mostly have to rely on your previous experience. As Rover977 said, you need to sound like you're a professional and that you can do the job they ask of you.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Phone interviews are a good/bad thing. They're good because you don't have to stress out over getting to the place where you're being interviewed on time. You don't have to dress up. You don't have to shower. You don't have to shave. If you have some idea what they might ask, you can have any resources around you that you want. I usually have a copy of my CV available, the company's website, and the job description or advert that lead me to apply in the first place.

People get nervous when they're interviewed (typically) and forget things they would normally remember. It's nice to be surrounded by a bunch of visual cues to help you perform your best during the interview.

What I said before about not having to shave and shower...I recommend that you do and dress in something comfortable. If you are still in your pajamas and robe, unshowered, and basically a slob, it might carry over in your presentation. Being wide awake, groomed, and comfortable will improve your performance.

Now the bad...you can't see them, either. Part of what I notice in a face-to-face interview is all of the visual cues the interviewers generate. They give me a better idea of how I'm doing and in some cases, what they want. I read a statistic that about 90% of all communication is visual. That means in a phone interview, you are doing without most of the information required for an adequate conversation.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

thanks again for the advice guys, well it is on friday so i will let you know how it goes

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Answer every question with another question. Sure to go down well. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada