Pesky hunk of junk Dell Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ropenfold, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I bought a Dell Studio laptop from the Dell Site in November and up until now I'd had no real problems, occasionally it wouldn't recognise a disc I put in the DVD drive but I just put that down to the fact it was Vista.

I attempted to downgrade vista to XP by booting through the DVD drive, it would start loading the drivers then blue screen. I then switched it back on and the drive had the yellow exclaimation drive on it, I reinstalled the driver for it and it was ok again.

I started buring some cd's into itunes and all of a sudden the speed died on the drive. Now it doesn't even read any discs If I click on the drive it just ejects the disc asking for a valid disk. Does anyone have any ideas? I think the drive has died, shocking considering the laptop is less than 6 months old. :(

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  2. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Give them a bell. If its only 6 months old it should still be under warranty. If for some reason that isn't possible, you should be able to buy a replacement drive of ebay and stick that in.

They are your best bet first though. I have had pretty good experiences on returns with Dell.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You can check the warranty on the Dell website - under support and enter the asset tag.

If it is out of warranty try www.tjl.co.uk - they're very good on Dell laptop parts. (I've dealt with them for years)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dell's warranty support is outstanding. I've had a replacement part in my hands within 25 hours, and that's just as a home user, not as a techie.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Phone Dell, their customer service is quite good.

Try a few different discs in the drive as a test first though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs