personal knowledge base

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by supernova, Nov 24, 2008.

1. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

yes,i found it,page 25 of the microsoft book that i use.

So many parts of the A+ material comes up in the mcdst i get lost at times.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

When i spent a few weeks at Microsoft when at college, I noticed that a lot of the support guys kept their own folders.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Personally I have a folder with a few text files in it, mostly containing archane netware commands that are not used very often and quickly forgotten by myself. Its always a good idea to keep notes on things, but you have to judge for yourself how good your memory is and how much you actually want to write down somewhere. quite often with commands and resolutions I document are the not very often come across problems that may require a good bit of googling to come up with anything close to the answer.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

I have a 'support bible' - my own personal collection of in-depth fixes on my local machine - which is shared out incase anyone finds it useful (though it is just the two of us in the IT Dept) Edit: that looks really bad...only my manager has permissions to view sensitive data...it's only the very basic stuff that everyone can see!. . Whilst this is good and has really helped speed up resolutions to issues, it's still on my work machine...so when I get a chance to properly read through, it is in the evening or weekend and, because it is at work, and I prefer to use remote desktop to get in, I end up getting distracted trying to resolve all the new problems that users have flagged...then take a look at server logs etc instead...then before I know it my husband is getting fed up as he hasn't seen me for ages...

We have the 'knowledge base' also, but I find that with that it is easier to put in a brief summary...then put a link in to my support Bible for further detail.

I love the idea of carrying the book/folder though (so simple, but I hadn't really considered it) - think that a book will come in extremely handy at my new place - that way I can write up notes I've taken (which will re-inforce what I've learned)...and take the book/folder home to read (which will further re-inforce what I've learned)...such a simple idea, but very effective - thanks AndiC and UKDarkStar for that!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Scientists have been encouraged to keep workbooks/logs for years, sometimes it may take years to make the breakthrough or connection...

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Personally, I don't keep a log book - 1) thats what our calling handling software is for; and 2) if I need to remember it I will - but I suppose thats the benefit of having a great memory.

When I first started in my role, I had a note book to remember where on servers applications were, on which cluster/location etc., but now I just remember it and carry the book so I have something to lean on when taking random notes.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293