Perm or Contract

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shadowwebs, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

There's been a woman here for 40 years, and we only ever get a maximum of 25 days!

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

ade, i know your the forum leader for employment... Do you feel, with your background, that its a gamble to jump from perm to contract, or is it sometimes the best move for someone to make

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Well, I joined the company on a one year contract, but it was because the funding was only secured for one year (and it gave them a way out if funding didn't come through), but they already knew that the job was ongoing looking at the business plan objectives. I've been here nearly 6 years.

As someone else said, a lot can happen in a year. It's a huge gamble with the way the the job market is at the moment though. You just have to go with your gut.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I left my very first IT role for a 3 month contract which turned into a perm job, ended up there about 4.5 years before the place was shut down (gov department).

It was a risk at the time as the move to perm wasn't guaranteed but decided I'd done enough where I was at the time and needed to move on.

5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd consider one more thing: how safe is any permanent job nowadays, even with a local authority.

In my opinion, you should take it. The funding is already secured, giving you 9 months of guaranteed work before you have to even worry about moving on again. I don't know whether you feel you've still got enough to learn to keep your current role interesting for a while, but I don't think you'd still want to be doing it in twelve months time if there's on room for advancement.
    It boils down to this: where do you want to be in 9-10 months time
    1) Looking for a new job with only the experience you have gained in your current position to show?
    2) Looking for a new job with the experience gained from a different working environment and responsibilities, as well as your current role?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. shadowwebs

Still not made a decision on what to do, although I am going to drop the paperwork off later today back to them to get the ball rolling.

How long does a CRB take to come back does anyone know?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  7. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Within 2 weeks for standard, 4 weeks for enhanced

8. shadowwebs

I have been trying to get hold of them to discuss but having no joy as yet... I shall continue to try

9. shadowwebs

i decided to accept the contract 12 month job, i start on 2nd January and finish my current job on 20th December so I have a few days off for myself to re-coup before starting a new challenge. my gut instinct is all over the place as to whether i have done the right thing, my manager took me in for a meeting after i gave my notice but was not willing to discuss salary or job prospects/development... a shame really.

10. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

That should tell you a whole story there.

Everyone gets nervous about going to a new job. Mainly because it's "the grass is always greener ..." ... 12 months time, bet you look back laughing.

11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'm pretty confident you've made the right choice mate, its also the choice I would have made without any doubt.

The fact that your manager did not want to discuss salary or job prospects on you handing your notice in does tell a story, I think your better off out of there otherwise you'd be looking back in 5 years in the same situation wishing you took the opportunity when you had it!

Best of luck mate. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
    dmarsh and shadowwebs like this.
  12. shadowwebs

Thank you all... I agree that I have more than likely made the best decision for my future as otherwise I would never have known the question "what if", and now i get a nice break over Christmas & New Year.

13. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Nice one, i agree with everyone else, you have made the right decision. Even if it doesn't completely work out there as you expect, with the information you have given here, the right decision was to accept this new position! Best of luck!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP