PDA Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phil, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I was thinking about getting a PDA later this month, I was persuaded that my life would be incomplete without one when somebody showed me their ipaq 5550 playing films :) and I need a new toy :D

I've never used one or even paid much attention to them so I'd appreciate some advice. Cost is a factor, I don't particularly want to spend nearly as much as I would buying a laptop. I've been looking around and quite fancy the Dell Axim x3i which has Wireless and Bluetooth.

Anybody have any thoughts ?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yeah - looks like Mister "100 hours overtime in March" has now de-stressed, and has money to burn :P

Sorry Phil - no technical advice - just go enjoy the retail therapy :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

:lol: the money's the only thing thats kept me going mate :multi

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

really depends what your looking for mate

if your a palm veteran, get another palm, if you really dotn want to learn another OS and all its grafiti 2.0 squiggles, go with a pocket PC one (also depends on the type of integration you want) I personally like the iPAQ with the biometric reader and such on it lol
    and it has remote desktop capabilities so you can bluetooth to your phone, and gprs to your network then remote admin some boxes, pretty handy hehe

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Well we have just bought approx 150 Pocket PC's, One of the guys here is a bit of a PDA expert and we had loads of sample/test machines sent to us from variuos manufacturers and we decided on the the Dell AXIM X5 (predominantly) for staff across the country, however We in the IT department get to play with an AXIM X3i , absolutely brilliant. Bluetooth is cool, when you sitting on the train with your phone in your pocket and you dial in and remote one of the servers, we also got the equally cool collapsable keyboard. The wireless feature is good too, as I can go from the work network to my home network with a tap of the screen or the press of a button, no re-configuring, just tap and go......absolutly COOL.

If I was to buy one myself I would go for the X3i

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346