PC Won't power down fully

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philbenson, Oct 16, 2005.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I am currently upgrading a friends computer. He is running Windows XP Pro.

Whenever I try shutting down the system, the screen goes blank and I can hear the hard disk powering down, but the CPU and PSU fans continue to run.

Can anyone suggest why and what I can do to resolve this?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sounds to me like its the BIOS power management.

Try seeing if you can change any settings for power in the BIOS, or try seeing if there is a upgrade available fr it.

8)

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

go to the display settings... screensaver... then power at the bottom of the page.. advanced tab... power buttons area make sure it reads shut down.

BTW is this a old system we talking about?

Also check BIOS's Power Management settings... this depends on which BIOS you are running..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Thanks for that guys. Not sure how old it is but its and AMD 2200+ CPU and reading on the mainboard, its a Gigabyte GA-7VAX-A

5. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I've checked all the BIOS settings and set them back to default. Also checked that the power button is set to Shut down and it is. Next stage is the BIOS flash update I think.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

k once in a while i suggest something that might sound like duh! but try this for me... shut down the pc.. eg start shut etc etc and when it gets to the *moment* observe the screen and tell me what it says? hmmm "Windows is now shutting down" or "Its safe to turn off your Computer" ?

Now hold the power button in the actual case after a few seconds does the pc shut down?

apologies if you have tried this or think im playing stupid but if this works this means the pc isnt APM for xp...

7. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Running through either the Start Button > Turn off your computer... or pressing the power button on the case produces the following messages:-

Logging off...
    Saving your settings...
    Shutting down Windows...

Then screen goes blank, and you hear the click as the hard drives switch off but fans continue running.

I have worked on this PC before and it didn't have this problem then so I know it can be done.

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok when the screen goes blank then press the power button down for about 10 sec... does it shut down the fans?

what OS was on this PC before or was it always running xp?

9. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Yep pressing the power button for a few seconds after the screen has gone blank shuts everything off.

Before XP it was running ME I believe which is why I was pretty keen to get him upgraded. Thinking about it, I guess the complete shut down must have occured prior to the OS upgrade.

I've had it back to put a DVD writer drive in and add a USB hub. I don't want to spend much more time on this so what do you reckon... Flash the BIOS or recommend new mainboard?

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

K wait a min... i did so research for you.. the board was designed for xp so if you checked the settings in xp like i said you can rule out Xp being the prob.

Next no point in flashing the BIOS cause gigabyte dont seem to add anything in their updates concering this...

have you checked the BIOS settings?

Some old pc's this is the only way to shut them down (by pressing the button in!) this is your mate man! why get the guy to buy a motherboard now? might as well build him a new pc!

11. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Yes I've been through the BIOS settings and looked at everything which appears to be relevant. Any particular settings you know of to check?

I agree about the BIOS updates. They only seem to have added Sempron compatibility in the last one.

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

what BIOS you running?

13. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

The POST screen here says Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG. Its also got a message here about being a Dual BIOS

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

in the power management settings look around there... also in those settings the soft off PWBTN - should be switch off or something like that...

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Zimbo,

As far as i am aware what you are saying about "it is now safe to turn your PC off" that only happens with AT mobo's which are of the P2 ere. They could not turn themselves off.

Someone please correct me if wrong!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I don't have it on my PC so I'm not sure, but I think my Dad's XP Home system has a "Use Advanded Power Management" in the Power Options Control Panel applet. Could be worth checking that.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  17. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Try going to device manager and then click on View and then tick

"Show hidden Devices"

If there is one that shows up called APM and it has a red mark through it enable it and then try restarting the pc and shutting it down

this usually solves the shutdown problem although it is unusual to have the fans still running it is usually the screen that stays on

Hope this helps

cheers
    Mick

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100