PC gaming is about to lose another customer...

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Mathematix, Dec 25, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You said:

Meaning, you do your research, but there are other things that cause problems, like iffy drivers. To which I replied, research will ABSOLUTELY catch products with iffy driver problems. If you do your research, iffy drivers aren't "one of several other things" that prevent your games from working.

I did see those forums, and no, I didn't avoid the card we have. The complaints are largely from people who don't know what the heck they're doing. And the whole whiny DanielK driver mod issue doesn't affect ANY of my decisions to use their products - they still work for what I use them for.

Dude, SoundBlaster is THE authoritative standard for audio cards. In truth, I wouldn't choose anything else, *particularly* because of their solid reputation for stability.

Right... but certain products work, and certain products don't. If a product works with newer versions of DirectX, I'll be able to figure that out. Sure, I won't be able to determine in advance if there's an issue with future versions of DirectX... but it's tested well with past versions, then chances are, it'll pass the test with future versions (up until the point that the hardware simply doesn't support new functionality, such as DX10 features with my older video card). When those issues affect me, I upgrade (again, at a relatively low cost). Otherwise, I don't bother. And... it just works. :)

Hey, I've got an idea... you can build a computer to the same specs as the one Ryan or I have! Problems solved! ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I'm just agreeing to disagree. A lot of the stuff you say is not a consideration in the games industry, and the games industry, out of all industry, works the most closely with high-end gaming hardware manufacturers. In my now years of experience I have never come across such explanations.

Such is life, eh? :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Weird, considering I'm their target audience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!