PC continuously rebooting

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hello,

I had the above on a clients PC.

Tried doing all the usual - last know good config, safe mode etc etc, but no joy...

Then I was going to repair xp...as it always got to the Loading Windows screen, then cut out....

...however, I have BART PE on my desk, so decided to play with that first...I ran chkdsk, and the PC now boots up fine.

I was just wondering if that's good enough or if you think I should do anything else to make certain it's gonna be ok before I send it back to the client?? :blink

Cheers,

Le

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Maybe run a virus scan to mate ?

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Also might be worth backing up the hard drive, or in particular any data that might be on there, just on the offchance there is an issue with the hard drive itself.

You could also download a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer of the hard drive to rule out a mechanical / physical issue with the drive.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Yes, it did seem a bit odd - the fact that there were no errors etc - just cut off.

Will deffo do a back-up, and run the AV scanner. Good point with the diagnostic tool too!!

Cheers for the suggestions- it's a bit crazy in the office - not enough time to think properly!!:eek:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  5. Bambino1506

Good thinking

6. Bambino1506

I know that feeling well :biggrin

7. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

if the powers cutting out it sounds like a faulty mobo or psu, also check the CPU temperature as it could be overheating.

when i used to do hardware repairs i would always update the bios and clean the machine (they love a bit of TLC). Then check for visible faults, cabling etc, then run memtest. Finally hammer the crap out of them (by running bench marking programs like futuremark, bbc climate (awesome for CPU testing), bit pro etc) for at least 24 hours to see if they could with stand it.

oh and if the machines got ECC memory you'll need to turn off the ECC in the bios else it fixes the faults that memtest finds and deceives the point.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

deffo run a virus scan seem like malware to me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?