PB Easynote

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carlito, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Carlito

Carlito Bit Poster

A friend has gave me his Packard bell easynote to have a look at after he over heard me boasting about fixing the keyboard on my own :rolleyes: well thats what i get.

anyway he told me it has been running really slowly over the last week or so and has also been locking up frequently, sometimes when trying to get out of the screensaver.

So today i switched it on and yes it was running very slowly when i got past the windows loading screening the desktop wallpaper appeared (but only the wallpaper no icons) and a runtime 53 error box appeared. at this point i noticed that the keyboard or mouse is not responding what so ever so i am unable to proceed any further. So i gave it a restart and tried to get into boot options or setup, anything! but the keyboard is not repsonding at all. I then plugged a external keyboard in via usb but it too does not work. Im lost as to whats wrong with it. any ideas?

thanks all

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

to be honest it doesn't sound like a keyboard error. Sounds more like the slowness will be due to ram or the hard drive getting full.

As with the keyboard not responding after a restart this could be down to the error, have you checked numlock is off?

runtime 53 errors are usually down to a corrupt, missing or unsuccesfully loaded .dll file.

Things you could try (if you get the keyboard working).

boot in safe mode to see if all basic device drivers are loaded and windows starts. If not then a repair install may be in order.

Boot normally with the windows disc in the cd drive go to run and type sfc /scannow this will see if any important files are missing and attempt to replace them. If it does find some you may have to do a repair install.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

could be that he had a virus or spyware that damaged the os when it was removed (not unusual) and keyboard could just be the USB emulation is not switched on in the BIOS, that and a busted laptop Keyboard. GBL mentions some worthy points there, other things you can try are linux live cd/usb OS's just to test whether the system is slow due to hardware (if it was the hardware then linux would behave slowly or oddly as well).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the hardware and you could look to replace the keyboard if you confirm that is the problem and maybe swap out ram to test for faults, anything more than that and you might as well put it in file 13 and send him off to buy a higher quality laptop somewhere.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Carlito

Carlito Bit Poster

thanks for replys guys :)

left the laptop for a bit and restarted it again onboard keyboard and cursor now work fine :s why would it stop working like that?

started laptop in safe mode and it runs fine, much more quicker, would this simply be because of the lack of programmes running? looks like a ram upgrade needed as its only running on 256mb

thanks again