Pay rise anyone?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Sparky, Oct 27, 2007.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Look after number one, they are running a business, so are you, never forget that a job is a largely financial contract where you trade your time for cash ! :biggrin

Theres loads of good advice here, I was once in the same position, I confidently walked into my bosses office and politely stated my case and asked for a rise, my boss said he would not give me a rise. At that point I knew where I stood, I knew that however good my performance was there would be no payrises or bonuses for the foreseable future, and that since I had only recently graduated and I needed to 'climb the ladder' that I had to leave.

Its a market, unless you have personal reasons to stay dip you toe in the water and see what pops up.

I'd reccomend asking for the rise maybe in december if you want to stay and getting your CV out in the new year. January is normally a little flat. Also consider relocation if necessary. Best of luck ! :D

2. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Well at least when you come to apply for other jobs, you have the extra experience of doing all these other peoples jobs :D

I was fairly happy in the money I was on in my job (crap really, hence me wanting to get into IT), and when I found out the guy I work with, who I detest, and who does very little work, was earning about 8k more than me, I was so incensed I rang my boss (the MD of the company) and demanded a rise! It worked:biggrin although perhaps this isn't always the best route to go down...

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  3. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

All I can say is Best of luck Sparky on getting the promo, and on the job front. Let us know how you get on :thumbleft

-mallet

Certifications: MCP
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hey Sparky. I found one but I'm not too sure if it's the one I'm thinking of.

You can find it here at certmag.com

If I find the other one I'll let you know.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685