Path to programming

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Cyndre, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Cyndre

Cyndre New Member

I'm hoping for a bit of validation and maybe tips for my proposed learning structure on programming.
    I'm not entirely a newbie when it comes to the field but would describe myself as a beginner.

I did a C&G in vb programming over a decade ago and studied some visual Eiffel at uni before I abandoned a comp science degree (Hindsight is a wonderful thing).
    I can comfortably build water cooled pc's and have a good general knowledge of pc's. ATM I do slot of excel based work with operators and a bit of Vba though largely through the macro recorder.
    I also have a good grasp of the basics of SQL using it in access.

I've realised software solutions is the direction I want to head in with life and so have set about researching it with alot of help from these forums.

I'm currently following a course from udacity which is teaching programming basics in the context of creating s search engine using python. This really has been very helpful.
    I've opted for C# as my preferred language and bought head starts book which is fantastic and easy to grasp.
    I'd like to master programming for web applications and business solutions possible using crystal reports.

UO would be wonderful to get a degree validating my work but is way out of my price range at though eventually I'd like to do the computing and IT practice degree course.

I'm also trying to use what I learn to improve on my work based spreadsheet to make it more efficient offloading the tables to access and streamlining the interface and macro reports.

So am I doing it right? Anything I could improve on?

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Id say your making a good start but I dont know all that much about this topic, maybe somebody else may jump in and give a more informed opinion.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sounds like a good start.
    It's been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again that the OU do some pretty good programming courses which are aimed at getting you thinking about programming as a whole rather than just learning a language.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There are some good CBT's around for C# .NET

LearnVisualStudio.NET Seems pretty good for getting into C# and .NET.
    Pluralsight have a LOT of stuff.

Possible ideas :-

1. Stop using the macro recorder and try and code Excel VBA from scratch.
    2. Try doing Excel Automation from C#.
    3. Start using SQL, MS SQL Express and LINQ to Entities to do some basic applications.
    4. Try converting/coding some apps without Excel, many people incorrectly use Excel as a database, so these kind apps might be good start.
    5. Write lots of console apps and do coding Katas.
    6. Learn a UI technology, Winforms, WPF, ASP.NET etc.

You could try studying towards this certification, but really I'd advise to concentrate on learning and writing stuff, don't believe all the hype around certification.