PAT possible?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

I have taken back (and eaten) the words from my previous PAT thread - didn't realise just how slow it is.

Have been asked to PAT test the whole building before I leave on the 19th.

Coming in an hour early each day (and manager chipping in), but in two days, we've got only 150 bits of equipment (with serial numbers, or new identity lables) on the equipment register. There are about 1000 bits of equipment in the building.

Advised MD that it will be a struggle to get it all done, but he's not happy.

What would you suggest?

I want to do everything thoroughly as there is no equipment register from before (it's been miss-laid). Do you think it's realistic?

I want to leave a good impression, but 12 hours to record 1000 bits of equipment and test them?

Cheers,

Lee

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Only you can gauge whether it is realistic or not, but it sounds to me like the MD doesn't really know what he's talking about. Just try your best and get as much as you can do finished. If you don't complete the lot then that's not your fault - you tried your best and they'll have to live with it.

After all, you leave for a new job soon so it's not worth working out of hours (or the like) to get it finished just because the MD's a twonk.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

LOL - thanks for that.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Sounds like "PAT Impossible"... unless you can get Tom Cruise to dress in black and hang from the ceiling by a rope...:D

5. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

A good example of a non technical manager who expects magic. Don't they know the meaning of Christmas? Don't give pain but love to your IT experts.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

pat testing does take a surprising amount of time when you do it properly, if you consider a good average of a minute and a half for each device (calculating the under desk scrabble, the actual test and the write out of the pass paper) is about 21 hours in a good undisturbed run! So I would think it would actually take one person very near a full working week.

Of course they could always higher a contractor in to do the pat test!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:p It is a bit silly isn't it. Just to clarify, my manager is fine...it's the MD who is panicking!

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its probably a bad idea to try and PAT test everything within a week or so anyway, after all, they will all come up for renewal at the same time and you will be back at square one. You want to space it out so that when they need to be renewed, you arent mobbed immediately again.

If these things arent PAT tested now, then I'm sure they can wait a couple of weeks for you to get around to them. Proiritise the 'high-risk' and 'high-impact' items (like servers) above things like a desk light, and work down the list.

Oh, and dont forget to incorporate PAT testing for new equipment as it arrives.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Definitely, which Is why the equipment list needs to be thorough - have developed a labelling system so items can quickly be identified, then have the serial numbers as a back-up (as those are often a bugger to locate/read)...whoever takes over in the future can then easily incorporate new equipment into the scheme!

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Leehaa, to do 1000 tests in 12 hours all depends on the items. I can gurantee that 1000 IEc leads could be easily done in that time, but 1000 bench drills or Angle grinders, photocopiers etc probably will take longer.

theres too many things to get in your way to make it easily predictable. You will always get bits of kit that wont test, or someones hidden away. There's normally people who wont let you unplug something that needs testing as they have to have it always switched on (even if they arent using it!)

It also depneds on the tester your using as some are quicker than others. Are you printing out assets lables as you go? if so thats gonna slow you down. Do you have to download teh results to a pc afterwards ro are tehy just to be stored on the tester? some testers only store X amount of results (megger PAT 4 DV only stores the last 1000 assets for example)

Just tell your MD that you can start it, but if you don't finish it before you leave then someone else will just have to take over. Just make sure you have recorded all teh testing and items that you do do before you leave. That way your boss will have a record of whats been done so teh new guy can pick up from there.

And if you need any help dont call us lol !

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Cheers for the replies guys. Was worried that I was being too thorough with everything and that it shouldn't take that long....but from what you've said it confirms that it is unrealistic. We will just do the best we can within the time limits.

12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Twizz - I think the problem is that we haven't even gotten to that stage yet. We are having to build a brand new equipment register from scratch in that time also - that's what's taking so long...then we need to move onto the testing!

13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Who do you work for again?

MMWWAAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! :twisted:

14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Tell the MD he should have pulled his thumb out of his arse earlier to make sure there was plenty of time to get it done!

He can't expect miracles once you've told him the size of the job at hand. Tell him if he wants it completed in the time frame he expects that you will put in extra time to make sure it's completed.......at a cost. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA