Password question

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by greenbrucelee, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Try this software FHF(free hide folder {75kb size}. www.cleanersoft.com..

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

MS private folder is good but it is worth noting that if your HD fails or you need to recover the data then you will have a tough time as it is encrypted in the private folder.

So if the PC didnt boot and you put the HD in another PC as a slave (just to get the data back) don't expect to be able to drag and drop the data in the private folder to your new HD.

Just lock yer PC! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Umm... if you leave your PC unlocked, how long do you think that access will remain restricted? :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I didn't say my pc, just that if someone starts that sort of crap in the network.

I always lock my pc.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. BosonMichael

...then, how would you know that someone's going around playing practical jokes on unlocked PCs? The "victim" isn't likely to go up to you and say, "My stuff's messed up... er... because I left my PC unlocked... :oops:", are they? :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Care to wager a tenner on it?:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  7. BosonMichael

Take video - it'll be hilarious to see a user actually admit to the admin that their PC was compromised because of a failure to lock their PC. :twisted:

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Then I'll start with the CEO and work downwards.:twisted:

9. BosonMichael

That video would be worth taking up a collection for a tenner! :biggrin

10. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

Couldn't you just set that folders attributes (in properties) to hidden? and for extra security disable the status bar in the folders (to stop it indicating the presence of hidden files/folders)

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Big Brotha,

The current user logged in is a member of an adminstrator group. So your proposal is to hide folders from yourself?

Once again, the problem isn't to protect folders from others, the "problem" is to attempt to protect folders from the currently logged in user, in this case a user that has "(admin privelages)."

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  12. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

r.h.lee

The original poster suggested that it was for if he (logged in as administrator) left the unsecured machine temporarily, eg to answer a phone that a means was needed to keep prying eyes (somebody unauthorised but at that pc and logged in as administrator) out of a specific folder and this was a different way to do it.

You're correct, my proposal would be to hide the folders from yourself because the prying eyes would be logged in as you and could snoop around but won't find your folder this way, if it was just password protected then theres a chance they could copy it and eventually get it cracked or have some potentially awkward questions about it.

13. Sparky

Always the potential for the folder to be left open when GBL is away from the PC.

I still say locking the PC is the way to go. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have been locking it, seems the best way tbh.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. Sparky

Good, keeps the other users out :biggrin

16. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Why post the question in the first place. What a drag:dry

17. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

simple as!

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

because I wanted to know if I could make that folder need a password even if I was logged in.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Is it my imagination or is that I never made a post as regards to that.. Just kidding:biggrin.

Free Hide Folder is a free computer security software to hide your private folders. It is very useful to keep your personal data away from others. Others will not know where your personal files exist and they will not be able to accidentally view them. You can hide folders simply with a few mouse clicks. Free Hide Folder is protected by a password that you can change or remove at any time.
    Key Features:

• Hide your folder completely. Unless you unhide it yourself, nobody can find it.
    • Password protection when running program.
    • No file system structure modifications needed.
    • Any number of folders may be hidden at the same time.
    • Easy-to-use user interface.

This might help.
    HERE

20. Sparky

.....or just lock the PC. Hides *all* the folders. :biggrin