Passes 70-680 - Doesn't want congrats

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by skulkerboyo, Mar 18, 2010.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Reason - I have to cram the MCITP into the next few months so to clear the path I brought this exam forward.

So I rushed it. Did what I needed to pass so I could move on. Wasn't even sure I'd pass. I brought it forward a few weeks figuring that if I failed I always have a second shot. They say a pass is a pass but I feel like I copped out. I could have learned more which I feel is the point of doing certifications anyway. Still I'm clear to carry on with other studies now.

Exam was interesting. Over 60 questions
    Mainly deployment, branchcache and local policy. The rest felt very 70-270 though there were some serverish q's in there somewhere.
    Took 3 weeks to prepare
    Been using Win 7 for 3 months in a domain environment
    Read the MS press book. Googled some stuff. Watched some deployment vids on Technet and thats about it. Quite a lazy approach really by my standards.
    Scored 800:x

If you use win 7 and have enterprise support experience the exams not too hard but if this is your first proper client exam, i.e. enterprise not consumer then you may need to take your time

I feel dirty:bath

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :p

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. skulkerboyo

Damn you! But thanks

I've rebooked my 70-648 for 3 weeks form now. Been studying that one since november

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congratulations on the effort.

I know you didn't want it for the pass, so it's for the effort. :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Dirty boy !! :d

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congr... :unsure uh... GREAT JOB!!! :clap

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. skulkerboyo

I loathe you all as much as myself right now

8. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

a bit ot, but didn't want to waste a thread.

Hey everyone, Early today I picked up the Odom 680 book(edit - it's called "70-680 MCTS Windows 7 Configuration"), it was in a 2nd hand shop and even though i've not really planned on doing the exam it was cheap.

I've been glancing through it for the last hour or so and it appears really simple, there are chapters on things like "installing games" and the features of these games like "2 player" and the WMP library as well as more difficult ones that require studying, would I really get questions in the exam about the details of backgammon? I kinda got the impression from flicking through this book there is not a great deal to this exam.

I guess I must be missing something as my knowledge of win7 is really just that of general use since the RC, but I suppose have used windows properly since win98 with my whopping 700mb hard drive iirc. Am I missing something or maybe my late nights of reading about OSPF lately have pumped me up to much, haha.

skulkerboy - know what you mean about feeling dirty, my incd, i scored a lot lower than what I thought/should have got due to one sim that I still think was completely ambiguous.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Good job on getting 70-680 out of way :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Don't worry about. Use Win7 another few years and you'll pickup all that you didn't know for the exam, just through practical use.

So good job on passing the exam. I haven't always passed exams with a score I was happy with, but I found that within the next few months of use, I was able to pickup an understanding of the product that made me confident enough to use it in a manner that I think would have earned me a +900 score in an exam.

Besides, scores are scores. You might have simply ended up with questions that was worded tricky or was from a 'mean bunch'.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. skulkerboyo

Whew bizarre that this should be commented on today of all days. I have the 70-648 this morning. This one I have been studying for. For about 5 months. The Win 7 exam was an interruption

Thanks for your comments though Death god (finished watching the anime over xmas - good stuff. Halfway through "Ergo Proxy" now

Onto the exam then8)

12. skulkerboyo

Exam passed - both scored in the low 900's

Onto 70-646 now:biggrin

13. skulkerboyo

Only reason I could see them asking about games would be because different versions of 7 have different/no games installed

Felt easier than the 270 but never take an exam lightly. I did that on first tech exam I took and nearly failed it as a result. You don't say whether its the MS press book you found or not. The MS book goes into great detail on deployment methodology over the first chapter or so. The exam felt heavily weighted in that direction as well There are other 70-680 books available but they may be crap. MS or Sybex are usually your best bets

14. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

15. skulkerboyo

16. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

cheers love

17. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE