Passed Sec+ SY0-501

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Pseudonym, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Got pulled for speeding on the way and was touching cloth all the way through the exam but managed a 798/750.
    Studied for about 4 weeks, used Daril Gibson's book & boson exams. The bosons definitely weren't of the same quality as the CCENT materials. But I don't think that's a vendor ting. I've never found practice exams that are similar to CompTIA questions.

I found the exam difficult, but fair. Thought it'd be a walk in the park but it really wasn't.

CCNA cyber ops starts Monday, so seeing as I have early bird access I'll get everything prepped and probably try and medal some of the sections so I can get my voucher ordered nice and early

2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Well done!

You're nailing these exams one by one.

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's been years since I did the Sec+, I remember it was 100 questions in not much time.

At the time I smashed it, I had most of the knowledge and the training I did was 1-1 with an instructor who basically said I knew as much as he did.

Well done, I have to admit that the Sec+ for me at the time was the most varied and best test of different technologies / knowledge.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Congrats - would you recommend the book for someone interested in the subject but not the exam?
    it would be nice to do it but don't see myself renewing once it would lapse... Where I am no one does Comptia exams. Hope in three years I'll be looking at other exams if any.

6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Thanks again everyone. It's silly but getting these messages of congrats really does help to motivate me.

Nyx, I don't think so to be honest. The book had some good information in it, but it was very exam focused. The cryptography sections were good for getting a basic understanding of that, but otherwise I wouldn't really say so. Maybe that's because I had a decent understanding of a lot of the content already though.

I don't see myself renewing these to be honest. I'm going to do Linux+ later in the year, and that's more than likely it as far as me & CompTIA go.