Passed RHCSA yesterday, new job Monday.

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Pseudonym, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Well after just under 4 years doing desktop support, I've landed a new job doing application support/junior devops at a software engineering company. It's basically everything I was looking for, so I feel extremely blessed to get it. Better location, money & miles better in terms of potential for growth. Couldn't ask for much more.

Also took a trip down to London to take my RHCSA exam. Took my eye off the ball on this one with the job search over the last couple of months, but managed to get over the line, comfortably with a 267/300. Great cert, really fun exam and would recommend anyone who wants to improve their linux skills to do it. Just a shame it's so expensive.

I'm probably going to put certs on the backburner to an extent now. I've passed 20 exams in 5 years now. (And failed a whole lot too) I've got RHCE and OSCP in my sights, but they'll come when they come, I don't really have firm deadlines for them.

I know I don't post a lot on here, or any other social media sites for that matter. But coming on here was initially the catalyst for me getting into this industry and it's really starting to look like all of the work is paying off. I've really been able to feed off other people's exam success and drive for more success over the years and without seeing other people achieve what they have through certification, I probably wouldn't have believed it to be possible, and vicariously not achieved what I have.

So thank you to everyone who has participated in this forum, even since before I joined. It's really helped me transform my career, and my life to an extent too. I hope the activity picks up on here again. It's nice to see people doing well.

Al

JK2447 and dmarsh like this.
  2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

A massive congrats to you and good luck!

You're an inspiration!

JK2447 likes this.
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I do a bit of Dev/Ops here and there, best of luck with new role!

JK2447 likes this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congratulations mate. I'm delighted for you and know exactly what you mean about this place. It's a cool place to hang out still I think. When I first joined here I didn't have a single cert and I was facing redundancy, so I wanted to buck my ideas up. I passed the Windows XP exam ten years ago and the rest is history as I now work for VMware, who's exams I first sat in 2012. I'm so fond of the place I bought it last year ha ha! I think it's a great idea to give the certs a break for a bit now and focus on you and your career, but that never means you can't pop on here and message fellow nerds, see others going on the same journey you went on and offer some advice, or share a few laughs.

PS sorry I should also say, what resources did you use to help you pass this exam!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's awesome, major congrats to you :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Afternoon guys,

Just finished my first week. Thanks for all the kind words. Been focusing on understanding the infrastructure and documenting all the servers, network devices, credentials, mainetnance alerts etc. Also been shown how the ansible scripts work and git etc. Also made my first moderately complicated script (with the help of a co-worker) to ensure a scheduled task has generated a file correctly, and re-run if failed. Very happy with how it's gone so far. Can't wait to get back in on Monday to be honest. Really nice environment to work in too.

That's awesome. It's such a varied role. D'you enjoy it?

That's a great story mate. Must be amazing working for an industry leader in a technology you love.

I noticed that the activity here seemed to be a lot greater 10 or so years ago. It got me thinking that certs just mustn't be as popular nowadays. I popped some common certs into google trends (mcse, ccna,) and set it to 2004 - present in the UK as well as the US. There has been a steady decline in search history for all certs from what I can see. I wonder why this is. Was it seen as a golden ticket back in those days, and not so much any more? I still think they're very valuable. You probably just need more of them for it to really make a difference.

The only resource I used was the Sander Van Vugt book. It's absolutely comprehensive, and also includes all materials for RHCE. It has a few errors in it, but you can easily make sense of it if you apply some common sense.

JK2447 likes this.
  8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Thanks for the book advice mate. I'm sure someone on their travels will find that very useful.

I think certification has died off a bit as everyone thought back in the day that a CCNA, VCP or MCSE would gef you mega bucks. Like a bit of a gold rush I suppose. I think you can get this with or without certification if you're determined enough.

That said I still believe in the benefits of certification and very much it's working smarter not harder eg. VMware Cloud on Aws was announced a while back. One of my customers is using it to facilitate their hybrid cloud strategy. I knew nothing about it but I did know if I printed off the exam blueprint and if I had time, which I did, sit the exam for it. Then I'd know all I need to know to be quite handy in the subject. That's what I did and it's worked out very well. I've been in a few face to face meetings where it's helped me to not sound like a plum and I've written four or five blog articles now on the subject on justthecloud.com. I gave a presentation on it at a VMUG last year too.

Each to their own. If someone said to me certification is useless Id say sure you're entitled to your opinion, but it works for me still in the real world. Makes my life easier as I'm a field representative for VMware. VMware posted an interview with me on certification recently so Happy days ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Congratulations mate, glad you have got what you wanted.

JK, this place is still cool and probably always will be

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well i'm still 90% development, I've never held a job title of Dev/Ops, but I have to look at logs on servers, set up stuff on Jenkins, AWS, Kubernetes, Ansible, Mesos/Marathon, bash scripts, git, Jenkins, Apache Httpd, Kibana, Kafka, Zookeeper, Azure, SSL, Kerberos, Hadoop, etc.

Mostly i'm prefer development but its nice to mix things up a bit, I'm enjoy Dev/Ops when I'm in control the environment, mostly however I have very limited access as a separate Dev/Ops team has the access and they set up things wrong, then it becomes extremely frustrating and a huge waste of time generally. Frequently I find myself waiting weeks for IT staff, so from my perspective the promise of Dev/Ops has largely failed.

The people that held up development from IT just moved across from IT Operations to Dev/Ops, they kept the same mindset and few developers were involved. Frequently IT seems to be about people saying no and refusing to provide stuff in a working set up.

Mostly these days I wish for retirement and just playing with computers for fun.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019