Passed my A+ this week!

Discussion in 'A+' started by steffparry, Jun 17, 2010.

1. steffparry

steffparry Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Just to let you all know that I passed both A+ exams this week! I scored 846 on the essentials and 827 on the practical (2009 editions).

The materials I used were the Mike Meyers All in One books (6th and 7th editions) as my main study source, David Prowse Exam Cram 4th edition for revision, topped up with Professor Messer online videos and various practise tests. Of course the collective help and knowledge of everyone here was a massive boon, so thanks guys.

I found the essentials pretty easy but that's because I was very well prepared. The Practical was much harder and loads of the questions were similar (just make sure you know everything about troubleshooting!). I thought I would struggle but was pleased with my score.

Thumbs up for Global Knowledge in Wokingham as a test centre, too.

I can't believe a month ago I didn't have any certs or an IT job- now I have both! Keep at it guys!

Next up- Network+!

Cheers guys,
    Steff.

Certifications: A+, BA (hons)
    WIP: Network+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

congrats, always good to see people getting a result. Got my 220 -602 next Tue and the 601 the following week, time to knuckle down!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done.

I didn't know darth vader wrote exam cram books :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations!

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good job! Congratulations!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. steffparry

steffparry Bit Poster

Yeah tell me about it, when I first got my study materials, I couldn't believe I was going to be learning from the lunatic in Halloween and the Dark Lord of the Sith!

What is it about IT training that attracts characters from Sci Fi and horror? :biggrin

Now excuse me whilst I start my new Network+ book: "The 7 layer model by Gandalf the Grey".

8. greenbrucelee

lol, good luck on the Network +.

9. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass, hoping to take my A+ end of August!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. dino66uk

dino66uk Nibble Poster

well done on the pass!!

Certifications: A+ CCENT
    WIP: ICND 2
  12. ssiruuk1

ssiruuk1 Bit Poster

nice one on the pass :)

David Prowse...Bristol boy done good, but not surprising they used James Earl Jones as vioce over, that west country twang would not be so convincing in a galaxy far far away!

Certifications: a+
    WIP: network+
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

Hi folks, I just want to clarify something’s as I am a little confused. I am with a TP and they have sent me some books through:
    -CompTIA A+ Essentials Exam 220-601
    -CompTIA A+ PC Technician Exam 220-602, 220-603, & 220-604
    Both are Mike Meyers. I believe I will be doing the 601 and 602 exams.

1. As I understand it, I have this year to do them and I do not have to update them every three years, where as the 701 and 702 you do. Is the correct - please clarify?

2. Are there any big differences between the 601/602 and the 701/702?

3. My third question is, when I looked at staffparry’s post for the cram book it was for 701 and 702. If I am taking the 601 and 602 exams what cram book should I use?

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+
  15. greenbrucelee

1.No you have until August 31st 2010 to pass the 600 series of the A+. The A+ 600 series is being replaced by the 700 series which at the moment is running alongside the 600 series. You have to pass by 31st december for the 700 series to be certified for life otherwise you will have to retake every 3 years.

2.The 700 series will probably have questions on Vista where as vista wasn't out when the 600 series was wrote.

3.The 701 and 702.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  16. steffparry

steffparry Bit Poster

Alright mate, just to expand on question 3). I also have an Exam Cram book that covers 601/02/03/04. It's the second edition by Charles J. Brooks. It's different from Darth Vader's in that it's purely multiple choice questions with explanations, so it's good for testing yourself but not really for use as revision (The Prowse 701/702 book is more akin to Meyers' Passport book in that it has the essential knowledge needed for the exam). By all means I would recommend the second edition Brooks Exam Cram but not until you are almost ready to take the real exam and want to know where your stong and weak points are.

Hope that helps- drop me a line if you need anything else.

And to everyone else- thanks for the congratulations! I got my .pdf certificate on Friday, yay! Self study rocks!

Steff.

17. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Yes there is some Vista in the 701/702. I actually took the bridge exam since I already had the 2006 A+ and there was some Vista there.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats:) on the pass and best wishes in your new role.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  19. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

Thanks, I followed this advice and used the Exam Cram, Messer's videos, and Meyer's book (7th Ed) and this worked for me. I also found the Exam Cram Practice Questions book by Patrick Regan helpful as well.

The only thing I will add is that: I started my studying with Meyers as my main study source and then would read the Exam Cram book. As I progressed, I realised I was better starting my reading with the Exam Cram (which is still detailed - but focuses more on what you need for the exam) and then reading Meyers (which goes into a lot of depth - more than you need for the exam) as a kind of filler. That is what worked for me.

Certifications: A+, N+