Passed MCDSt ...now what?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by hollywood, Jul 4, 2011.

1. hollywood

hollywood New Member

Hi

I am looking for any advice on what to do now I have passed my MCDST
    I also have my full CCNA which i obtained last year.

I have been doing some work experience at a large investment bank in the City but they don't really have time to train/mentor me so I don't see to be gaining any experience here.
    I have been advised the desktop support would be the best way to get a foot in the door and am looking all over London..but without any experience and just the qualifications it is seeming very hard.

My CV is posted on all the sites I just don't know what i am doing wrong..

How do I get a break? Any advice greatly appreciated!

SB

2. hollywood

hollywood New Member

I have recently obtained my MCDST, i also have my CCNA...

Any ideas of how to get my foot in the door anywhere.. my CV is on all the sites and i am applying for trainee, grad, junior roles

SB

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bit of an open question there mate.
    Where do you want to go?
    What do you see yourself doing?

More importantly, what sort of experience have you got?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You don't have to double post, I have merged the two thread together :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. hollywood

hollywood New Member

Thanks Ken (and apologies - new to forum)

Ideally I want to get into Networks but after volunteerings for HSBC bank in Canary Wharf for a while I have learnt that in order to get my foot in the door I need to start at first line support it would seem. No one is going to let me live on their networks without any experience..

I have obtained my CCNA Cisco Networkings, MCDST and have set up my own company fixing peoples hardware/software problems in order to earn a bit of cash but it has not really taken off

I don't know how to start looking when all roles on reed, fish4, monster etc seem to want experience in the field

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You've just got to do what most of us did, persevere.(Which is coincidentally the motto of The People's Republic of Leith, where I live).
    They all want experience, but job specs are wishlists, not cold, hard rules. I'd be looking for applying for anything with 12 months listed as the experience required. You have nothing to lose. I'd also make sure I spent time on applications where I thought I might have more of a chance.
    You might also want to forget to put on the CCNA for jobs that don't require it. That might put some employers off, they'll see you as someone who'll be off to another job as soon as you can find one or become frustrated because your not getting any cisco-related jobs to do.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job