Passed Linux+

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by zcapr17, Aug 14, 2008.

1. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

Passed the Linux+ today and I feel the need to rant...

As with the Security+ exam that I did a while ago, the syllabus is great but the exam is dreadful. All the questions are really pedantic and require you to know the exact syntax for loads of commands - in real life you would just use man.

I much prefer exams that test your understanding of a subject by asking goal-orientated questions or the reasons behind administering a system in a certain way (e.g. "Why would a journaling file system be used?" compared to "Pick the correct command to create a journaling file system from these 4 subtly different commands...").

Are all CompTIA exams like this?

Anyway, on the bright side, another cert qualifies me for another curry...

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

CompTIA exam questions have come under quite a bit of fire. As I recall, quite a number of people have said the syntax of the Network+ exam questions seem to have been written by a five year old.

To be fair, the CCNA exam also requires that you know the exact syntax of commands (no auto completion like in real life). I was just having a conversation with someone about how cert exams don't map to real life situations as much as the cert industry would like you to believe.

In any event, you passed, so congratulations. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's because they allow just about anyone who has passed a previous version of the exam to write questions for new versions. It's quite unfortunate.

Fortunately, we don't have to get all the questions right... because if we did, there'd be even more complaining about the exam wording! Congrats on the pass! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations, now go and chill out and have a beer or two 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Good work 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation