Passed ITIL foundation, but how? (or why?)

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by McTaff, Jul 25, 2009.

1. McTaff

McTaff Bit Poster

It's a total mystery to me that I passed as I didn't understand a damned word of it. I've worked in an environment that promoted ITIL methodology for the last 9 years, and from what I can see its purpose is to make the bleedin' obvious as confusing as possible. I think Managers must like it because they can wallow in impenetrable gooble-de-gook, jargon and tech speak - and of course, there's a Manager for everything in ITIL. Sorry if I sound a little cynical.

The CBT I used from Career Academy was adequate I suppose, although I had to constantly replay segments due to my concentration wandering - believe me, the slightest stimuli is a distraction where trying to learn about ITIL is concerned. I used practice exams from Transcender on this occasion, although there was actually a pretty good ISEB approved one free with my CBT. My results during practice were as follows; 27, 26, 26, 25, 26. The pass mark is 26. My passing score on the day was 26. Has anyone ever failed the blasted thing?

This was also the only time I have ever changed my answers before completing an exam (two actually), I'd give anything to know the significance of my revisions.

Finally, I think I must have been brainwashed whilst studying the CBT, as for some odd reason my first act on returning from the testing centre was to investigate the path to reaching practioner level. I'm all better now though.

Certifications: ITIL v.3, MCDST, CompTIA A+, Network+
    WIP: Scratching my head in frustration
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

Don't know how many people failed the exam (I also passed on the pass mark), but the BCS/ISEB have a pass rate page here. One thing this does not cover is people, like me, who sat the exam thru EXIN.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I failed it!!! I got a 25/40 first go. :biggrin (I got 36 on the second attempt) and quite rightly so. I work in an ITIL obsessed company, I considered the exam a test on the ITIL process in place in my company... bad mistake.

The ITIL foundation cert is mostly a memory exercise IMHO, you are told it is a flexible model to be applied to any business then given an exam that tests you on the rules of ITIL.

Load of linguistic garnish-gobledee-gook-bollox, for example, surely its obvious that I should let the affected parties know when I am going to take down a server and again when it is returned to a normal working state. Money for old rope.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  4. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

....and congratulations on the pass :)

(my lack of manors has been reported to the continual post improvement manager that monitors my interweb posting) :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats on the pass and welcome to the strange and wonderful ITIL club :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I haven't done it, as a five minute cursory glance at the content pretty much convinced me that what i quoted above is true.

I have been service manager for 14 years and logic, being conscientious and common sense was all i needed to be successful :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes congrats on the pass i got 26 too. even though it is a load of carp its still requested quite alot on job postings, so at least its a feather (if a rather dull gray one at that).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. McTaff

McTaff Bit Poster

Thanks for your comments guys.

For all it's faults, I do believe its a cert worth having, as prospective employers LOVE ITIL (as Dales pointed out).

10. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Thsi does seem to be appearing in alot of job specs nowadays and sometimes i have to wonder if the person writing the advertisement knows what it is or if it is just a buzz word in the recruitment industry.

Congrats on the pass and hopefully my company will shell out and get me through it in the near future so i can say i have it.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  11. Kitkatninja

Half and half, I've found. If it's the actually IT manager (or someone in the know) then they know what it is and for. However the other half are done by HR or recruitment people who use it cause it's a buzz word, kinda like the same people who list the MCSE for entry level/tier 1 IT Support :rolleyes:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  12. McTaff

McTaff Bit Poster

Interesting comment regarding the MCSE wagnerk, I've been finding that a lot of agency guys and gals think that the MCP is the top Microsoft cert, rather than the first rung on the ladder - to the extent that I use the MCP logo on my CV rather than the MCDST. For some reason "Microsoft Certified Professional" sounds more impressive than "Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician", or even "Microsoft Certified System Engineer".

13. Kitkatninja

It's doesn't stop there, for my new IT Tech, we were looking for training provider for the NVQ program. One training provider stated that they will include the MCDST in with the NVQ 2 and when they do level 3, the candidate will have the opportunity to study for a MCP :rolleyes:

Moral of story: Do business (whether it's training or job hunting) with people that, let least, have half an idea of what's going on :lol:

-Ken

14. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

hear hear!

Just attended a 3 day workshop/course on ITIL (exam to follow on monday), and I have some mixed feelings about this one. There's some useful bits of information in there as far recommendations go, and some parts of course are stressed further along, but the bits which really caught my attention were the recommendations against doing something a particular way. And those I agree with. Building silos and barriers against common practices and efficient work order is unfortunately something occurring all the time in my current company.

Anyway, we'll see if I'll bother ever to go all the way with this. Another 20 credits needed (assuming I pass my exam) if I want to go all the way. And with my luck by the time I do that (and the courses are supposedly obligatory?!?), it'll be 2015 and ITIL v4 will come out... hah

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  15. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

You have exactly the same qualifications i want to have by the time i finish my HND.

How much did it cost to study and pass the ITIL?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  16. Kitkatninja

The ITIL v3 foundation exam via EXIN is currently £100 (I'm pretty sure that it was a few quid cheaper when I did it, maybe...) and the book I used was this (and it's under £15).

So in theory you can do this exam for £115 :)

-ken

17. Shinigami

ITIL Foundations v3 has no prerequisites, so studying and passing it can be as low as the cost of the exam if you're able to borrow a book or spend your time on the ITIL wiki's.

18. Shinigami

Well, I passed, but only by the hair of my chinny chin chin :eek:

My head is like a baked potatoe... 3 days of training last week and then on friday night I fell ill with a sore throat. Of course too late to change my exam day which is on monday, can't get hold of anyone at the training center (the exam was part of a package included in the training course).

Mostly sleeping all weekend, managed to read about 100 pages from the ITIL book I was given.

I really didn't want to get out of bed today, but I had to if I were to take this exam. Having a headache, runny nose and loud dry cough's is not fun when doing this type of exam :(

19. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm Bit Poster

Hi there,

Posted this on another thread but hadn't received a reply as yet. On the subject of ITIL, can anyone confirm whether the qualification needs to be renewed evry so many years or is it the case that once you have passed one of the qualifications (say the v3 Foundation), you do not have to take the exam again (i.e. a certificate for life as it were). Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

JN

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA, MCDST
  20. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

It's a pass for life but if a new version comes out you would need to do that if an employer required it.

If you hold full ITIL v2 Practitioner there was a crossover for v3 I think.

The OGC site will have the details

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)