Passed it, can't believe I was so worried!

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by MartinCoxxx, May 21, 2010.

1. MartinCoxxx

MartinCoxxx New Member

Hi Folks

Just sat the 70-291 a few hours ago. After reading various forums post and seeing the amount of unsuccessful attempts at 'The Beast', I was extremely surprised when I sat down and took my first few questions. It was very straight forward, much, much easier than I had built myself up to believe. The simulations were pretty easy too.

I'm not a natural exam taker, I really suffer with nerves and I always expect to fail, so if "I" can pass this first time, I don't see why anyone else can't. I studied for about 1 week, around work time, very late nights, I used the self paced training kit and CouseSims (highly recommended) videos. Hopefully going to complete the remaining 5 exams over the next month or so...

Drinks all round! Wahey! 8)

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE
  2. jezza1970

jezza1970 Nibble Poster

CONGRATS MARTIN!!! Great news.
    Not as tough as you thought it would be?
    I too - am soon to be sitting this one.... next 2 or 3 weeks... I have read (and re read and re read) the MSPress book, but still worrying over this one....
    Once again... all the best abd enjoy the beers tonight!

Certifications: BEng (HONS); MCP 70-290; 70-291; 70-270; 70-680
    WIP: ACSP, 70-648
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Congrats. Nice to hear someone having an easy time on this one for a change but then experience is always a winner on these exams

Good luck with the rest of your studies

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done mate.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. MartinCoxxx

MartinCoxxx New Member

Thanks Dudes.

Just booked the 290, but I can't get in until the 11th of June. Bummer!

I might schedule one for the week after, the 18th. It sucks that my local test center only runs Prometric exams on a Friday, otherwise I could do them on consecutive days! :twisted:

Obviously, as I mentioned, I've booked 290 already. Any advice on which to do next? Anyone recommend a particular order?

I'm really unclear on what I'm aiming for, obviously the MCSE and then the upgrade track to MCTIP:EA. But, I'm a little unsure on the best route to get there? How would I wind up with the Messaging or Security flavours? Is that just dependent on my electives?

It's been a while since I've done an MS exam (5 years) and I've become unfamiliar with the whole certification track!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

By the way, just out of interest, is anyone on these boards anywhere near to me? Is this predominantly a US board? Are there many UK folk on here? I'm in Staffordshire, England. Anyone local?

Cheers

Martin

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

It's predominately a UK board mate.

In relation to the flavours, yes it depends on your exam electives.

Edit: Just read your introduction post.

Do whatever exams float your boat.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
    Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Congratulations!

I'm attempting to destroy the chunky lad that is the 70-291 next Saturday. I'm not worried at all because I know I'll fail it and I have a second shot in June the week after I do my N+.

If I fail it then, try try again. :)

Well done on destroying the sultan, the big champ, the cheeky lad. Hopefully I'll join the rowdy slayers of the 70-291 death squad very soon.

I heard rumours that the 291 exam itself has the ability to fire lasers in to your face from the monitor screen... :eek:

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  9. AllanWallace

AllanWallace Bit Poster

BUT... If you pass you will be gutted you wasted a second shot on it! :) good luck!

Congrats to those who have passed 70-291 (I passed mine this week) & good luck to those who have it coming! - Personally, I found it the absolute hardest yet (after 70-290 - 70-270 being comparitivly easy) and was dreading it, especially when it went into the SIMS and there was quite a few of them!

Certifications: MCSA, MCTS 70-680, MCP 70-291, 70-290, 70-270, NVQ3, NVQ2
    WIP: MCITP, ITIL
  10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  11. MartinCoxxx

MartinCoxxx New Member

Ahhh, that's good, a UK board, could see myself becoming a bit of a (ir)regular on here.

Congrats on your pass awallace, if you're anything like me, you were grinning like a Cheshire cat for hours after... I still am now lol. I certainly know the feeling of wasting a second shot! I had a 15% off voucher too, I've used that for the 290 though, kind of a strategic move.

I better go and crack a celebratory beer open! It's been a long week...

:twisted:

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Remember that the questions come from a large 'pool', so it is quite possible to be dealt an easy hand once in a while.

Congrats on the pass mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. AllanWallace

AllanWallace Bit Poster

How very true & I think i struck lucky on 70-270 with that one (i scored 920, which i was more than happy with, though in fairness, i have been using & supporting XP for a long time now... i should probably have done better....)

14. AllanWallace

AllanWallace Bit Poster

Yep! Still am! :D