Passed A+, How do I get the experience that employers look for?

Discussion in 'A+' started by rocker, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rocker

rocker New Member

passed my A+ last Tuesday and enjoyed doing it. Is this enough to get a foot into the IT world as a starting block and to get some experience?
    I am very interested in becoming involved in networks but I am worried that I could keep paying out to do certs and not get anywhere because most employers are looking for experience. It is very difficult to fund doing the certs as I am in a part time retail job and on a poor wage. How do I get in?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you thought about voluntary work, if your working part time you could do a few hours a week to pick up some great experience. I actually did this way back in 2000 for a training company when I was trying to get become a software trainer, I volunteered to work a few hours a week shadowing the other trainers and after 2 months they offered my part time work then eventually full time. The rest as they say is history. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Failing the above, which is a very good idea, look for helpdesk roles, they are generally a good entry point, along with junior desktop technician roles, although I see very few of the latter advertised.

Get your self into a helpdesk call centre for a good few months and get some exposure and experience to the IT world from a business point of view, you will pick up a few good skills and it might also help you decide if networking is really the way you want to go or not. I was in a similar situation to yourself several years back, used to run a pub but wanted to get into IT so I went and got myself a helpdesk role.

5-6 years down the line I am about to move into a network support role for my current company and will hopefully be sitting the CCNA middle of this year sometime, once I feel I have built up a good enough understanding and had some good hands on practice.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!